anyone hear anything from top schools?

amg

I'm a senior but I'm probably taking a year off, so I decided to only apply to a few schools which I'd be completely happy deferring without wishing I could re-do the application process next year. It was probably a dumb move, since I know I'll be disappointed if I don't get in to any of them, even though I absolutely cannot count on getting in anywhere at all (I applied to Harvard, Princeton, MIT, and Stanford). I know one person who's gotten in to Stanford so far, but I haven't heard anything from any of them. I'm hoping I'm at least on their second- or third-tier lists, which is why I'm wondering: has anyone been rejected from any of these schools?

Most schools are a lot faster to accept people than they are to reject them. Also, I'm not sure those schools really need to have second or third tiers. I know MIT pretty much accepts who they want in one go, and they keep a handful of people on the waitlist just in case.

That's probably right, although I wouldn't be surprised if many of the first-round acceptances overlap, and so as those people make their decisions then a few spots begin to open up. Which is not to say that the situation is hopeful... what's a typical timeline for this process?

It's not as simple as "a few spots opening up." All schools take into account a few students deciding to go elsewhere instead.

I think all of the schools you applied to have made their offers already, with the exception of Princeton.

I've applied to all four of the schools you're applying to, plus five more, and I've heard nothing at all. This seems a little early for all decisions to be finalized though, doesn't it? Stanford's Web site says they won't be done until late February or early March.

Well, "finalized" can be a relative term. From experience, it seems to mean that decisions, in total, are made at that time. Most of the schools let their offers be known quite early and just reject everyone later; it may be a few days later, or a few weeks later. Nevertheless, it can be quite cruel making people wait unnecessarily.

Your profile seems quite impressive. Although it's a bit surprising you haven't heard anything yet, I guess it goes to show you you can't always rely on having solid numbers, etc. getting you in.

Good Luck!

Well, "finalized" can be a relative term. From experience, it seems to mean that decisions, in total, are made at that time. Most of the schools let their offers be known quite early and just reject everyone later; it may be a few days later, or a few weeks later. Nevertheless, it can be quite cruel making people wait unnecessarily.

That's what I'm saying I think is unlikely: How could places like Berkeley and Cornell be all done already when it's barely been a month since they stopped accepting applications?

Your profile seems quite impressive. Although it's a bit surprising you haven't heard anything yet, I guess it goes to show you you can't always rely on having solid numbers, etc. getting you in.

Are you still talking to me?

At first I thought it was me and I was flattered, and then I realized I hadn't posted any of my stats. (An impressive list of schools one is applying to is very different from an impressive profile, unfortunately.) I feel like I've done everything I can to be a strong applicant, and done quite well at it (for its own sake, of course, not just to look good for grad schools), but I'm worried that it nevertheless isn't enough. I'm confident that I can hit top 10, I could almost certainly get into Chicago and/or Berkeley, but these four are just so damn elusive...

Yo. One of my friends was accepted first-round via e-mail by Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago, Princeton, and Harvard. Harvard's notice came around Feb. 6th to 9th, all of the other ones were between Jan. 28 and Feb. 2nd. I also heard through the grapevine that MIT and Columbia have sent out their first-round acceptances.

Finally, another friend of mine on the west coast got a paper rejection letter from Harvard on Thursday, Feb. 12.

I was accepted by Berkeley on Jan. 28th via e-mail. Stanford sent an e-mail to me on Feb. 12th saying that they would have all decisions finalized and all applicants notified of their status via e-mail by Feb. 28th. Other than that, as of the time of writing I have heard absolutely nothing from any of the programs I applied to.

Hope this helps.

Yo. One of my friends was accepted first-round via e-mail by Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago, Princeton, and Harvard. Harvard's notice came around Feb. 6th to 9th, all of the other ones were between Jan. 28 and Feb. 2nd. I also heard through the grapevine that MIT and Columbia have sent out their first-round acceptances.

Finally, another friend of mine on the west coast got a paper rejection letter from Harvard on Thursday, Feb. 12.

I was accepted by Berkeley on Jan. 28th via e-mail. Stanford sent an e-mail to me on Feb. 12th saying that they would have all decisions finalized and all applicants notified of their status via e-mail by Feb. 28th. Other than that, I have heard absolutely nothing from any of the programs I applied to.

Hope this helps.

Well, I haven't heard anything from anywhere (except Penn. State), and I've applied to a couple of those schools mentioned (including Berkeley, you bastard :P). I'm assuming this means that I'm not a 1st round pick for anywhere, which is a little depressing. At least I haven't got any outright rejections, though.

Well, I haven't heard anything from anywhere (except Penn. State), and I've applied to a couple of those schools mentioned (including Berkeley, you bastard :P). I'm assuming this means that I'm not a 1st round pick for anywhere, which is a little depressing. At least I haven't got any outright rejections, though.

How were you notified by Penn State of your admission? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...