UC Berkeley EECS PhD Coursework Requirements?

zep

I'm a bit confused about the coursework requirements for the Berkeley EECS PhD program. I've seen the Berkeley website on this, which says that I need...

- one "Systems" breadth course

- one "Theory" breadth course

- one "Theory+Systems" breadth course

- a total of 24 credit hours

- at least a 3.5 GPA.

Seriously? Only 24 credit hours (where a typical class is 3 credit hrs) of classes over 5+ years? Or, is this just a "lowest common denominator" requirements, and advisors suggest additional coursework?

I know that the PhD is much more focused on research than coursework, but are the coursework requirements really this simple?

Good question, barring any pre-reqs for the "outside minor" requirement I think that's it. Of course, we have to register for the "Individual Research" or "Doctoral Research" courses so that we count as full-time students.

After that its just courses that you'd like to take or (like you said) courses recommended by advisors.

8 courses for PhD is pretty common. MIT is even lower - I think you only have to take 4 courses.

Thanks!

Is it common for a PhD student at MIT to only take 4 courses? Or, do advisors often recommend (require?) a plan of study involving more than 4 courses?

Edited by zep

Thanks!

Is it common for a PhD student at MIT to only take 4 courses? Or, do advisors often recommend (require?) a plan of study involving more than 4 courses?

Pretty sure it depends from advisor to advisor. If a course relates to your area of research, then your advisor may want you to take it.

If you were admitted to UCB, please don't hesitate to contact your peer advisor (or faculty members who've contacted you) for any questions like this.

But the short answer is: yes, you've understood the course requirements approximately correctly [1]. 24 credits is approximately 8 courses. Most people take about 2 courses per semester, so you can finish off your coursework in about 4 semesters. Keep in mind, your primary focus in the PhD program is research (rather than coursework) -- this is a significant change from an undergraduate program.

No, Berkeley is not unusual in this regard. If anything, Berkeley PhD students take more courses than at many other PhD programs. I think you'll learn a lot in the courses, and they'll support your research nicely. Many Berkeley courses have a large project component, where you do a research project of your choosing -- which is a great way to learn about how to do good research and try out new research ideas.

Again, if you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact your contacts at Berkeley! They'll be glad to explain how it works, if this is a concern for you -- but let me reassure you that the requirements are quite reasonable and are nothing to be afraid of.

[1] OK, OK, there are some details. We'll tell you about them if you come, or if you ask. At this point, you really don't need to worry about them. (But if you want to know, technically, the 24 credits is divided as follows: at least 12 credits in your major area, at least 6 in an inside minor area, and at least 6 credits in an outside minor. The major area and inside minor are two areas within EECS. The outside minor must be graduate courses in some department outside EECS.)

If you were admitted to UCB, please don't hesitate to contact your peer advisor (or faculty members who've contacted you) for any questions like this.

But the short answer is: yes, you've understood the course requirements approximately correctly [1]. 24 credits is approximately 8 courses. Most people take about 2 courses per semester, so you can finish off your coursework in about 4 semesters. Keep in mind, your primary focus in the PhD program is research (rather than coursework) -- this is a significant change from an undergraduate program.

No, Berkeley is not unusual in this regard. If anything, Berkeley PhD students take more courses than at many other PhD programs. I think you'll learn a lot in the courses, and they'll support your research nicely. Many Berkeley courses have a large project component, where you do a research project of your choosing -- which is a great way to learn about how to do good research and try out new research ideas.

Again, if you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact your contacts at Berkeley! They'll be glad to explain how it works, if this is a concern for you -- but let me reassure you that the requirements are quite reasonable and are nothing to be afraid of.

[1] OK, OK, there are some details. We'll tell you about them if you come, or if you ask. At this point, you really don't need to worry about them. (But if you want to know, technically, the 24 credits is divided as follows: at least 12 credits in your major area, at least 6 in an inside minor area, and at least 6 credits in an outside minor. The major area and inside minor are two areas within EECS. The outside minor must be graduate courses in some department outside EECS.)

Fantastic--thanks for taking the time to write up this explanation.

I've been looking through the Berkeley EECS course catalog, and I've gotten some coursework suggestions from a potential advisor. I feel like I want to take all of the classes...it'll be hard to narrow it down. :)

Pretty sure it depends from advisor to advisor. If a course relates to your area of research, then your advisor may want you to take it.

Thanks!