Licensing Exam

burgundykitten

This might be a silly/dumb question, but - is it ill-advised to start looking over study materials for licensing exams, when you're not even in the grad program yet? I still have six months of downtime to do whatever in before classes start, but I don't have any degree of social work academic background and wasn't sure if even looking at test materials ahead of time (obviously WAY ahead of time) would be beneficial since I don't have a background in the material.

(Not trying to sound overachieving or anything, I just have the freedom to look at study guides & etc. since my time is currently spent recreationally outside of work / I'm not in school right now.)

It's too early because different states have different licensing requirements. Some require the Master's exam first; some only require the Clinical or Advanced Generalist exam. The MSW foundation courses will prepare you for the licensing exam.

Edited by michigan girl

Yeah, I would wait and do something else with your time this summer...like read fifty books!

After I saw this I took a random practice test online for fun. I hope the exam is actually as easy as that practice one was xD

I say don't! It'll take some of the fun out of your first year core classes. It's fun to discover the information and have it come together in an organic and meaningful way (well, with a good curriculum/professor), and you'll get much more out of that than just memorizing information. :)

• 1 year later...