Ties and Suits

MaxiJaz

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this is going to be a redunant post, but I wasn't able to find a post that was specific to my question. Hope I can get some quick help here.

I have an interview coming up in a health research program with the Director of the program, and I am confused as to whether I would need to wear a tie or suit. Yes, I have strongly believed in the universal advice that it's better to overdress than underdress, and it gives a good impression...but are ties and suits a bit too overdressed for science and health interviews? The reason I've gotten to this stage of cofusion is because I've been advised by the most recent supervisor I worked with that I was a bit too overdressed at a presentation I gave to my research supervisor and referees (I wore a tie).

Before then, I've always worn a tie and that instance confused me. I've leaned towards not wearing one since.Prior to this upcoming interview, I have met 1-on-1 with prospective supervisors for this course with a dress shirt but no tie, and I didn't feel awkward. Does anyone think it would not be worth taking the risk of not wearing a tie?

Part 2..the suit jacket issue. I live in Canada (Ontario) and it's relatively cold as you can imagine. I will have to go to the interview wearing a winter coat regardless, so is it worth wearing a suit jacket under? I don't see the point.

I would appreciate any help, as sadly, I fulfill the usual stereotypes of a scientist (in the making) with no dress-sense whatsoever.

Edited by MaxiJaz

There've been a lot of threads about this throughout the forums, but they're kinda hard to track down - there's a whole debate in the Biology subforum titled "Business Casual?" or something to that extent, and I'm pretty sure that tie vs no tie / suit vs no suit is debated to some extent there. As I am of the XX PhD candidate variety, I'm not really sure if I can help you (I wasn't exactly checking out male counterparts at my interview weekend :P).

Good luck on your interview!

Thanks for your help! After going through the forums, I think I'm going to stick with a dress shirt and pants, and skip the jacket. I figure I'll still seem like I put in the effort without trying to overcompensate.

I've never wore a suit or tie at my interviews and have always felt comfortable. Nice slacks and a dress shirt have always worked well for me. The majority of people I've seen didn't wear a tie and I have only seen a small handful (3 or 4) in actual suits.

I have noticed that this somewhat depends on the region and perceived prestige of the university (i.e. my higher ranked schools seemed to have people in more formal wear).

This also probably varies with the field, I've been interviewing with neuroscience programs but I know people who have interviewed with ecology programs and they have told me its much more casual.

As long as you dress respectfully suit vs. no suit and tie vs. no tie should not be a factor in your ad coms decisions. Just wear what you are most comfortable with.

Funny enough (compared to how I was last year) - I feel pretty comfortable dressing up for these occassions as I work at an office. I might even come in to work before the interview...though probably not. I like the idea of a suit jacket, which I might consider, though a suit jacket under a coat might make me resemble a penguin in both movement and stature.

if you are going to wear just slacks and a dress shirt you might as well wear a sport coat too. you will look more mature without being any more dressed up, and gives you more flexibility if you want to take it off.