University of Pittsburgh

There are some acceptances, a waitlist, and a rejection posted for Pitt English and I haven't heard anything! To those who were notified by e-mail, did you contact the department to get your decision, did an individual contact you alone, or was it a circulated e-mail? My inbox is purgatory and I'm tempted to annoy the admin assistant, but I know that's just wrong.

Hi myzzm,

I heard yes from the Grad. Director late Monday afternoon. I hadn't contacted the department since I submitted the app; he both called and sent me an email (since I was lucky enough not to embarass myself by picking up the phone and squealing in his ear). It's strange that you have not been accounted for--a polite email to the graduate secretary I'm sure wouldn't be out of order. Good luck!

Thanks guys.

I guess no news is good news which is why I might not bug the graduate secretary for an answer. If anyone else gets rejections I'd love to know in what form I should be expecting mine..

It is crazy to think about, considering that your life and everything that accompanies is dependent on a few variant words on a sheet of paper or in an email--accept/deny. I mean, we mostly just think about it in terms of validation, but in reality it decides entire lives. Though, most of us have probably fetishized this process to such an extreme(checking boards and results obsessively) that it is far removed from what it actually means.

• 3 weeks later...

i called today to see what was going on and they said they had sent me a letter in early february. still nothing here, and they said they would mail out another letter. i guess that means i am out.