Harvard OEB: Anyone Heard Anything?

biol

My girlfriend (who applied, not me) emailed OEBs' Academic Programs Coordinator, and he said to expect something late February/early March. She tells me that he also said the Open House thing had no "bearing" on your acceptance (ie. it didn't matter if you couldn't go, or if you didn't get invited). The guys' name was Christopher Preheim if you wanted to email him, apparently he was pretty prompt with responses unlike others in the department.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Thanks! And yeah, that's what they said. It's odd that they brought us out without really having any intention of admitting us- most schools only invite the people they want, or are at least pretty interested in. I hope it wasn't a total waste of time!

Received word that the letters were sent out snail-mail last Tuesday. I have yet to receive mine...hopefully today. Not sure why it would take 4 days for a letter to get from MA to NC, when I've gotten stuff from TX in less time.

Was it a rejection or acceptance? I'm wondering if they only sent out acceptances because I still haven't received anything.........

Same. I've already decided where I'm going at this point. Not going to wait on Harvard. Just would like to get my $105 worth in either a reject or an accept.

Was it a rejection or acceptance? I'm wondering if they only sent out acceptances because I still haven't received anything.........

It was an acceptance, which I declined. I'm not sure if Harvard has a waitlist or if they expect a certain yield on their offers and take as many as respond. In the latter case you'd expect the rejections to go out at the same time, so maybe they're hanging on to some applications? Just my speculation...

I emailed the PI I'd been in contact with to ask about about admissions since I hadn't heard anything. He said that he didn't know either, but that it was likely I'd been "waitlisted or lower" if neither of us had heard anything by this point. I've since accepted elsewhere.

The Harvard OEB admissions process is probably among the blackest of black boxes I've come across in applying and hearing back from grad schools.