nfa wrote:Yale: Accepted

Columbia: Accepted

RISD: Accepted

MICA Hoffberger: Accepted

SAIC: Accepted

Tyler: Accepted

Indiana: Accepted

UCLA: Rejected

nfa, how/ when did you hear from Columbia?

just got my rejection from yale painting in the mail. wtf dudes. they were all over me in the interview, thought it went so well. anyway. guess this means i'm going to hunter, cuz i sure can't afford calarts. wooo hunter.

UCSD: Accepted

CalArts: Accepted

CCA: Accepted

NYU: Accepted

Bard: Interview, then rejected (suuuucks)

Otis: Accepted

Now that all schools' acceptances are in....Curious about your (and anyone else's) decision, and funding info (if you are willing to share).

I just got off the waiting list at Portland State University for their Social Practice program. They would like to know in a week if I will take the spot.. no financial aid, but TAs and GAs.

And I still have an interview to do at a school in Europe.. :o

hmmmm.

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia at all? Particularly for printmaking? Heard there were only 3 spots.

Letters supposedly went out on Friday but I live in NYC and haven't gotten a word. Curious to know about any other departments, how they sent responses if any. Apparently a sculpture person was called last week?

Columbia Printmaking - Interviewed

Columbia Painting - no word since i had the interview for printmaking

Yale - Rejected

So... here it is. I got accepted to VCU for painting. They told me the standard offer is:

1 semester paid + $4300 Stipend

The rest would be up to me. I would assume if I set up Virgina residence I would get in-state the second year.

What do people think of this program and this deal? Just trying to get all the options I can get. Thanks for all the help.

jkroman, I wouldn't assume residency will be available to you by 2nd year. I applied to MFA @ VCU and after digging around on the financial aid pages (sorry, can't say exactly where), I found documents that made it appear that VCU makes it difficult for you to establish residency if you are not there for any reason except school. If there are obvious workarounds to this, great, but get the details from them since I'm sure it's a common issue.

So... here it is. I got accepted to VCU for painting. They told me the standard offer is:

1 semester paid + $4300 Stipend

The rest would be up to me. I would assume if I set up Virgina residence I would get in-state the second year.

What do people think of this program and this deal? Just trying to get all the options I can get. Thanks for all the help.

Yeah, I just talked to them and they kind of said the same thing, that getting in-state is VERY difficult in Virgina.

jkroman, I wouldn't assume residency will be available to you by 2nd year. I applied to MFA @ VCU and after digging around on the financial aid pages (sorry, can't say exactly where), I found documents that made it appear that VCU makes it difficult for you to establish residency if you are not there for any reason except school. If there are obvious workarounds to this, great, but get the details from them since I'm sure it's a common issue.

Yup, I live in Virginia and completed my undergrad at W&M. When I applied for in-state tuition the forms asked me to specify where I had lived for the last 3 years. I had been in VA for 16 months and was working in VA, they granted me in-state but it was a close call. At least a year of residing in the state is required, and having a job in state helps establish this. You'd have to switch over your driver's license as soon as you arrive which requires utility bills in your name to verify your address (this is true for all the 7 states I've lived in). In-state tuition in VA (like CA) is a deal, and if your occupation is full time student, you're not likely to be granted in-state tuition. As my grandmother found out, if you're not paying VA State taxes, you are not a resident! Good luck...

Well, I got VCU to give me 2 semesters paid, and $8600 stipend. I think I am going to take it. I am still thinking of taking a year and reapplying, but I am leaning toward going.

i hate to be always thinking about money and awards....i must sound obsessed. but until money issues are resolved, we cannot go back to thinking about art. but maybe this is good practice for post grad life. One cannot separate the realities of living from our art practice.

jkroman: does that mean they are essentially giving you 1 semester paid per year ($8850) and a stipend of $4300 each year? That means you only need to borrow for 1 semester tuition and rest of living? So a little over $20,000 a year? You can always apply to scholarship next year. Does anyone else think it is almost impossible to get outside scholarship since we don't even find out decisions until April, when all applications deadlines are over. geez.

They told me that I am getting 2 semesters of a GTA which includes a tuition waver + 4300 stipend for each semester. One will for such will in the 09-10 year, the other will be either year, they said they would not know until the beginning of the summer. Of the current work I have seen I like it ok, but I have seen a number of people that have come out of the program in the last 3-5 years that I REALLY like. I have about a week left to decide.

PS, My fiance will being moving with me and having a job and such... this will help a ton with expenses.

i hate to be always thinking about money and awards....i must sound obsessed. but until money issues are resolved, we cannot go back to thinking about art. but maybe this is good practice for post grad life. One cannot separate the realities of living from our art practice.

jkroman: does that mean they are essentially giving you 1 semester paid per year ($8850) and a stipend of $4300 each year? That means you only need to borrow for 1 semester tuition and rest of living? So a little over $20,000 a year? You can always apply to scholarship next year. Does anyone else think it is almost impossible to get outside scholarship since we don't even find out decisions until April, when all applications deadlines are over. geez.