Referring to other researchers in conversation

QxV

Hi All,

This might seem like a rather mundane thing, but when talking to my mentors, I often refer to other researchers by their full name (without "Dr." or "Professor). It just seems pretty natural since you already cite them by their last name when writing.I was wondering if this was a faux pas during an interview?

Thanks!

It may depend on field but I usually use either the last name or full name (or even just first name, if it's someone both I and my conversation partner know). The fact that they teach at a university is not relevant to the discussion of their ideas.

I was thinking of doing that, unless the faculty member in question is actually at the institution itself, in which case I'll refer to him/her as Professor so-and-so.

I was thinking of doing that, unless the faculty member in question is actually at the institution itself, in which case I'll refer to him/her as Professor so-and-so.

I'd say that, if you're interviewing at a school, using Professor So-And-So to discuss a prof at the school is definitely a good idea - just to avoid accidentally stepping on any toes - and anyone outside of the institute would just be referred to by last name or full name. :)

Good luck with your interviews!

I recently met with a prospective supervisor for an informal interview/discussion of suitable projects. At some point in our conversation he asked me if I was talking to any other professors, and I thought I'd play the honesty card and tell him that I was. After telling him who ("Dr. so and so"), he started to refer to them by their first name. I don't know what happened but I then started to refer to the others by their first names too...maybe because I'm used to calling my past supervisors by their first names once I work with them. A big part of me felt he was a bit surprised (slight facial expression changes) and for the rest of our discussion I felt really awkward as I wasn't sure if he found it disrespectful.

Either way, I think it would be good to play it safe and always refer to them by their distinction/title as you never know if the person or their peers may find it disrespectful otherwise.

Edited by MaxiJaz