University of Washington

I had the same issue a few weeks back so I emailed them. They told me that there was no funding for the first year but that there is a wait list for TAships. I would email the DGS though just in case. I'm in the same position--fully funded elsewhere and debating what to do.

Thanks! I will email them on Monday to maybe find out how likely it would be to get one. (Not that they'd tell me.)

I got rejected this year and last year from Washington. It hurts since the grad coordinator actually encouraged me via phone to reapply after looking through the comments from the committee. Why not just say, "sorry dude, don't waste your money."

I got rejected this year and last year from Washington. It hurts since the grad coordinator actually encouraged me via phone to reapply after looking through the comments from the committee. Why not just say, "sorry dude, don't waste your money."

Wouldn't it be great if we could see those comments? Or at least some feedback about why we weren't accepted?

Wouldn't it be great if we could see those comments? Or at least some feedback about why we weren't accepted?

You can call and ask to speak to the grad coordinator, Brian Reed. He does phone interviews all day on Tuesday, so you would have to set up at an appointment and then wait two or three weeks. If you are in a different time zone like me then make sure you figure the time difference. Brian Reed is really a nice guy, but perhaps he is not in control of most of the decisions.

Has anyone else not heard from the department yet? I called on 3/30 and the secretary was somewhat positive about my application. Even if this meant a speedier rejection, she seemed to think the answer would come very soon. Well, that was nearly two weeks ago . . .

Has anyone else not heard from the department yet? I called on 3/30 and the secretary was somewhat positive about my application. Even if this meant a speedier rejection, she seemed to think the answer would come very soon. Well, that was nearly two weeks ago . . .

At this point, I'd definitely call back! It's only 5 more days until decisions have to be made, so I'm sure they've made a decision about you! At another school, they thought they'd alerted me to my waitlist status, but the announcement was still sitting in a file somewhere.

I called yesterday and mine was one of six applications that the director hasn't made a decision on yet.

I emailed the director yesterday evening and received an acceptance email later that night. No funding in the first year, which is apparently the case for more than half of the incoming Eng grad students. Not fully sure what to do. Any current UW students--or anyone really!--on this thread who can offer recommendations? Trying to gather as much info as possible quickly to make a decision. Good luck to others who are still in the pool!