San Jose, CA

bettycraft

Hello, I have been accepted to the San Jose State MFA program but I have never even visited this city. Does anyone know about the art scene and good/cheap areas to live? I've heard traffic is congested there. Is this a big issue? I appreciate any perspective but I'm especially interested in the arts. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ive been in San Jose for over a year and a half. Traffic, like most cities, really depends on where you're commuting from. Housing near the university is fairly inexpensive for the bay area. You can find a room in a house for about $500. Studios will start out at $700 and go up from there. A 1-bedroom is around a $900. Im in an AmeriCorps program, so everyone I know has had to find cheap housing. Japantown, South San Jose (south of capitol expressway), and surrounding the univeristy to the north, east, or west would be good places to look. Id avoid south of the Univeristy (a square: between 10th and Market, between William and Keyes) as there are a few apartment buildings there harboring the worst of people. If you need any input on a specific area let me know. Its not my hometown but Ive biked exstensively throughout the city, and have friends who have lived all over.

What sort of arts? There are a number of art museums, some great theater opportunities, etc. Plus, you're only ~1 hr from San Francisco which has TONS of museums etc.

If I were you I'd check out Santa Clara (just west of San Jose) as a reasonably cheap place to live. You should get a free bus pass as a student--unless things have changed in the last three years--and if you're close to El Camino Real, you can take the 522 Express bus which drops you off a couple of blocks north of campus.

I agree with dmaurath that the area just south of SJSU is terrible. The area around Japantown (~4th and Taylor) is a lot nicer while still being close to campus. I don't know how cheap it is, though. Also, it's pretty close to the airport so noise may be an issue.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I just got into SJSU. I live in San Francisco so I'm really close but I've never really been to San Jose much. I'm worried about being about to find affordable housing. Has anyone seen the campus? I've heard it's pretty nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I just got into SJSU. I live in San Francisco so I'm really close but I've never really been to San Jose much. I'm worried about being about to find affordable housing. Has anyone seen the campus? I've heard it's pretty nice.

Define "affordable"!! It's Silicon Valley so nothing is cheap. But compared to San Francisco it's probably not too bad. :) I'm a little behind the times (haven't lived there for 3 years now) but odds are pretty good that you'll want to get a roommate--it's pretty expensive there.

Having spent significant time in San Jose, I'm sad to say you are going to be disappointed. It's expensive, crime ridden, and excessively suburban. The arts scene is terrible, you will have to drive everywhere you go, and mugging/home invasions are par for the course.

San Jose State is in a little island of ok neighborhood, and directly adjacent to one of the worst parts of the whole city.

Silicon Valley in general is pretty crappy, with a high cost of living and low standard of living.

• 3 years later...

I recently was admitted into San Jose State's Master's of Biotechnology program for Fall 2016 :D.

I am currently doing research as to where to live in the Bay Area. I keep hearing conflicting things about where to move to because I am trying to make my commute as painless as possible. Driving in DC traffic for the last couple of years has definitely taken a toll on me and I am trying to avoid that headache again. 

The places I have been suggested by friends and family are:

1. San Leandro

2. Fremont

3. Union City

4. Milpitas 

Any other suggestions or recommendations? Please share your personal experiences or stories. I am just trying to make this transition as smooth as possible from the east coast to the west coast. Thanks!

I live in the East bay (Hayward) but my gf lives in SJ and goes to school at SJSU.

I will give you her experience:

1. SJ is expensive no matter where you live, sorry.  Try to find a group of people to live with or a room to rent out.  SJ is pretty spread out so expect to have to commute to campus.
2. Luckily there is actually a pretty good public transportation system.  If I were you I would take advantage of this!  She uses the light rail (VTA) and it drops her off right by campus.  I think its even free for students... So if I were you I would look for something near a VTA station.
3.  The nightlife/culture isn't great anywhere in SJ but it isnt bad either.  There are things to do all over (mostly downtown and in other nearby neighborhoods....Campbell comes to mind).  But luckily you really are close enough to anything you wanna do.  SF, the beach, any sport you like, music, good (or ok) bars, hiking/outdoors, are all within an hour.  

On 3/16/2016 at 6:13 PM, HopefulPHD14 said:

I live in the East bay (Hayward) but my gf lives in SJ and goes to school at SJSU.

I will give you her experience:

1. SJ is expensive no matter where you live, sorry.  Try to find a group of people to live with or a room to rent out.  SJ is pretty spread out so expect to have to commute to campus.
2. Luckily there is actually a pretty good public transportation system.  If I were you I would take advantage of this!  She uses the light rail (VTA) and it drops her off right by campus.  I think its even free for students... So if I were you I would look for something near a VTA station.
3.  The nightlife/culture isn't great anywhere in SJ but it isnt bad either.  There are things to do all over (mostly downtown and in other nearby neighborhoods....Campbell comes to mind).  But luckily you really are close enough to anything you wanna do.  SF, the beach, any sport you like, music, good (or ok) bars, hiking/outdoors, are all within an hour.  

Great! Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful!

I really don't do well with roommates so if I have to live in a studio apartment instead of a 1-bedroom to cut costs I am willing to do that.

I am transporting my car to California, but will still opt to use public transportation when traveling to SJSU to save on gas. I'm not too worried about the nightlife as I'm sure I will mostly be with my friends and family in downtown Oakland and SF.