Waiting it out: Canadian Political Science Programs Fall 2012

icarus99

I got a U of T acceptance, first round, back in early March - which I declined last week. I did my undergrad polisci at U of T and Louis is definitely the person to contact. Lots of people will decline, they don't fund really, so if it's your top choice cross your fingers!

It still surprises me that some schools/programs offer terrible funding packages, while others provide outstanding ones. I am a great candidate who is completely tired of using OSAP/Loans to pay for my schooling. So in my opinion, funding was perhaps the most important variable in my choice. Sure schools such as U of T or departments such as NPSIA are very prestigious, but that is not enough for me to say "no thanks" to over $20,000. It seems to me that many great candidates will decline offers, from say NPSIA, simply due to the lack of funding.

"you get what you pay for"

Thank you both for your responses. I ended up emailing the Secretary. UofT is not my first choice, especially if they aren't funding, I just want to know at this point so I can conclude this application process.

That being said, I just received my official letter from McGill. The funding isn't good at all. This is going to make my decision more difficult.

Edit: The Secretary responded to me. I'm rejected, which is fine. No funding from UofT and so I would have rejected their offer of admission anyway.

The important thing? I'm done! And I hit 5/6. That's my cue to exit. I wish all of you the best with your future plans.

Edited by rechoired

So has anyone mustered the courage to call Louis Tentsos at U of T yet?

I got a rejection letter from U of T today. If you didn't get one of those, I would guess that there is still hope for you.

seems like the lull of anticipation mixed with angst that accompanies waitlist season has bestowed itself upon this thread...

anyways, i just got word from York M.A. today. Seems like i'm waitlisted. If anyone out there does not want to go... please reject! York is my top choice!

Edited by The Wretched of the Earth

seems like the lull of anticipation mixed with angst that accompanies waitlist season has bestowed itself upon this thread...

anyways, i just got word from York M.A. today. Seems like i'm waitlisted. If anyone out there does not want to go... please reject! York is my top choice!

I hope it all works out for you! Was that the only program you applied to or are you waiting to hear from others?

We are on the same boat, I'm also waiting to get off a waitlist, but if that doesn't happen, I'll be accepting another offer by mid-April. Crossing my fingers for us both!

Anyone know anything at all on Manitoba? It seems like no one has heard anything... so I can't decide if they just take forever to go through applications, or if I'm just waiting to get rejected...

Does anybody have any idea when we're supposed to receive any letters/documents after we have accepted an offer? Do they typically mail out any packages after we've accepted an offer?

Hi jjrousseau! My school didn't send anything extra that wasn't in the initial acceptance package. After I accepted the offer, they just told me to check on my account online for registration, fee payment, etc. and to give them a call if I had any problems or questions.

Did your school say that they were mailing something extra after accepting the offer? Maybe check online to see what the next step is, or call them!

Congratulations on your offer acceptance btw! Good luck!

Hi jjrousseau! My school didn't send anything extra that wasn't in the initial acceptance package. After I accepted the offer, they just told me to check on my account online for registration, fee payment, etc. and to give them a call if I had any problems or questions.

Did your school say that they were mailing something extra after accepting the offer? Maybe check online to see what the next step is, or call them!

Congratulations on your offer acceptance btw! Good luck!

They didn't say anything about mailing anything, I just assumed they might. I just accepted my offer online after they emailed me, and haven't heard anything since.

But thank you!

Anyone know anything at all on Manitoba? It seems like no one has heard anything... so I can't decide if they just take forever to go through applications, or if I'm just waiting to get rejected...

I just got accepted to Manitoba's Master of Arts program. I thought I had enough credit hours (I go to UWO, so not sure how this is calculated) and the GPA to be admitted for the full thing. Anyhow, looks like they are rolling out acceptances of some sort lol

Edited by Hush

Congrats to those who got into Manitoba! I did my undergrad there and can help out if you have any questions about profs in the Politics department. Just msg me here or through PM and I'll do my best to answer! Best of luck!