AIM: 2013 fall, master program in computer science or statistics

CURRENT GPA : 2.68

GRE: 156+167+3.5

ToEFL: haven't tested yet

MAJOR : statistics MINOR: computer science

I am actually in my junior year, so the reason for this post is asking for what I should do to increase the strength of my profile.

There are a lot of reasons for me to get only 2.68 in GPA, different ways of calculating and stupid courses like Marxism, but it's now a fact and I have nothing to do to change it. Even I got all A's in this semester, it's still about 2.8 or so the time I applying.

I study at another university in free time to learn computer science, It will give me a minor degree in cs, and that university is more famous than mine own, it's china's top 3 engineering schools.

My major is focused on mathematical statistics, so I learned analysis and other high-level math courses than other university's stat students. With this multi-background, I wish to study machine learning or artificial intelligence. I know it's sometimes in the cs department and sometime in the statistics, and I think my undergraduate-level statistics is already enough to me, so I wish to apply for some cs master programs and take more cs courses.

What do you think I should do to fix the problem of GPA? I think my statistics and cs background is sufficient for a machine learning program, but the low gpa will restrict me to those 50-80 schools. If I want to be more competitive in applying, what should i prepare? Thank you.

If you can gain research experience and show it (publication/presentation/poster/recommendation) I think it can help to compensate for your GPA. My GPA wasnt excellent but 2 years of research experience compensated it and I got accepted in my program of choice.

Also, since you are good at cs and statistics your grades for the subjects related to those fields should be better, most programs ask you to list the most relevant courses and your grades (and GPA) for those seperatly. Taking GRE subject tests may help you as well.

thank you for your answer.

I may have only about one year to strengthen my research experience, but I will still try to attend some research groups. I think my programming skills in c++/R will help me to find a position in these groups. But in my university the profs are not quiet care about the research potential in their undergraduate students, some of them told me they don't have such a position for an undergraduate.

GRE sub is also a good choice, if I have time prepare for it I will try to do so.

What's the role ToEFL play in admission? I mean, if I get a very high toefl score it wil or will not help? or just a meet-requirement score is enough?

A bad TOEFL score can hurt, but I dont think it is necessary to score very high on the TOEFL. Just make sure you score sufficient in all the sub-categories.

Research experience in your field is really the main thing you should focus on. And make sure that whoever you do a research project for will write you a strong recommendation.

A bad TOEFL score can hurt, but I dont think it is necessary to score very high on the TOEFL. Just make sure you score sufficient in all the sub-categories.

Research experience in your field is really the main thing you should focus on. And make sure that whoever you do a research project for will write you a strong recommendation.

thanks, I will try to join some research group.

Today I've just taken toefl, and as you said, it may be not very high but sufficient.