York/Ryerson Communication and Culture - Heard Anything Yet?

tiffanyamber81

Funding info anyone....for MA or PhD?

Hi Everyone,

My funding information (PhD ComCult, York; fall, 2012) just came to me in the form of snail-mail. This about 1.5 weeks after I was informed that I was admitted. Funding is surprising. I've been offered a six-year package, five of those years at just over 20k, with the sixth year at 15k. Anecdotal evidence suggests that 20k per year is average for Canadian PhDs; however, I'm having trouble finding statistics on average funding rates for Canadian PhDs. It would be nice to compare to see how wide my York package deviates from the average PhD funding in Canada. Funding for more than four years is the (pleasantly) surprising part.

Hope this gives everyone an idea of what to expect.

Best,

Craig

I have been accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am only doing the program p/t as I cannot afford to go into poverty again. I am actually very surprised. I thought I wouldn't get in. I only applied to this one program. I can't believe it!!!!

I have been accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am only doing the program p/t as I cannot afford to go into poverty again. I am actually very surprised. I thought I wouldn't get in. I only applied to this one program. I can't believe it!!!!

Congrats!! You made it :)

I got in the PhD program at York...just turned it down after I received their financial offer in the mail.....everyone says it's 20K "guaranteed" aid....it's absolutely NOT.....with the 20k, you need to pay ur FULL tuition, then you left with about 14-15K, then, with that...about 2-3K are tiny scholarships and miscellaneous school fees that are waived for you.....so basically, you end up with about 10-11K per year....this 10-11K is NOT guaranteed cause U MUST BE ABLE TO SIGN UP TO FULL TA OR RA OR GA and 12K is MAX..that means you gotta work ur ass off doing TA/RA/GA while studying for PhD..with a monthly stipend about 900-920 dollars.....gosh....York really know how to rip people off...........and find DIRT DIRT CHEAP LABOR! This 20K "scholarship" they are stating almost sounds like a scam....they are just so different from other schools who offer stipend for living expenses....~

Good luck to everyone! Hope my info helps!

Post-edit: Another major reason I turned it down after some math is....in Toronto...900 living stipend (transportation, food, rent, etc etc)....either u squeeze into a shared tiny room with others....or you will just have a very VERY tight budget life.

Edited by number66

I got in the PhD program at York...just turned it down after I received their financial offer in the mail.....everyone says it's 20K "guaranteed" aid....it's absolutely NOT.....with the 20k, you need to pay ur FULL tuition, then you left with about 14-15K, then, with that...about 2-3K are tiny scholarships and miscellaneous school fees that are waived for you.....so basically, you end up with about 10-11K per year....this 10-11K is NOT guaranteed cause U MUST BE ABLE TO SIGN UP TO FULL TA OR RA OR GA and 12K is MAX..that means you gotta work ur ass off doing TA/RA/GA while studying for PhD..with a monthly stipend about 900-920 dollars.....gosh....York really know how to rip people off...........and find DIRT DIRT CHEAP LABOR! This 20K "scholarship" they are stating almost sounds like a scam....they are just so different from other schools who offer stipend for living expenses....~

Good luck to everyone! Hope my info helps!

Post-edit: Another major reason I turned it down after some math is....in Toronto...900 living stipend (transportation, food, rent, etc etc)....either u squeeze into a shared tiny room with others....or you will just have a very VERY tight budget life.

To be honest with you, this is pretty standard. And York is upfront about it. They have covered it all in detail during the open house. And were open to questions throughout the process.

I had the same arrangement with my Master's, and thought it was pretty awesome. I looked at it as an opportunity to start teaching on the college-level that I would have never had otherwise. Having been a TA/RA opened a lot of doors for me after I finished my Master's.

I was in my early twenties though and did not mind living on a tight budget. I rode my bike and rented a room in a rather rustic basement apartment. Who cared, I still pretty much ended up living in my office on campus (yes, it was THAT much work) :)) I graduated with about $300 in debt (textbooks were really expensive)

Arrangements like that allow a lot of students make it through grad school, which otherwise would have been impossible for them

Congratulations!!!

How did they inform you? E-mail? Phone? Was that this morning or were you considering for while?

Hey AlyaLeka, I was thinking about it for a couple of weeks/ weighing other offers. I was informed via a phone call two weeks ago. I'm very excited for the fall. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Hey AlyaLeka, I was thinking about it for a couple of weeks/ weighing other offers. I was informed via a phone call two weeks ago. I'm very excited for the fall. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks. My chances are slim at this point though.

My file has been transferred to Ryerson. The head of the program there said that I should know in the next two weeks (1.5 weeks at this point). My file is under discussion.

Just got mine in the snail mail today ( was wondering why no email came)... 15000 for 5 semesters, as AH YES noted, seems standard. The funding does not seem to be that great, at least for the MA people.

Edited by marxram

I got in as PhD quite awhile ago. I think all PhD offers are finalized by now. Curious, what are the background of some PhD admits on this forum? Willing to share some school stats or where from future colleagues?

Me: Calgary, undergrad 3.7 in communications, no work experience, ok EC, Graduating in June from university.

Any admit wanna share?

Hey frozencake,

I'm a PhD admit at Ryerson, just curious, will you be based at York or Ryerson? I did both my undergrad and MA at Toronto, undergrad final year GPA was 3.9 something, CGPA was 3.8, good ECs, and related work experience. Nice to (virtually) meet you!

I will be based at York. I am going straight from undergrad to PhD, nothing in between (not even work experience).

Nice to (virtually) meet you too! I am sure we will meet in person sometimes....only 6-8 PhD Admits/per year combined at York and Ryerson....so....very very small class :)

Edited by frozencake

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, I'm just joining in ...I have just received two offers:

Offer 1: from York U for the PhD in comcult (part time) (no funding)

Ofer 2: from UOIT for PhD Computer science (fulltime) (possible funding)

My background is Bachelor of Engineering (Industrial engineering) + Masters of Design (Industrial Design)

My interest is to do a PhD in ComCult or CS with a slant on HCI linking industrial Design and usability. I believe that there exists a fantastic relationship between design, the process of design and ComCult discipline

I am also a full time teacher at a college teaching Industrial design

Dilema:

1) Is it really possible to do a full time PhD course (@ UOIT in CS) while having a full time job as a teacher?

2) I do not have any formal training in CS (I have done some programming in my engineering days 22 years ago) , hence my concern whether I would be able to cope up with the courses in CS at UOIT ?

3) with the PhD in communications and culture at York U , there are some conditions where I need to take a couple of MA level courses and manage a B+ to qualify for the PhD program, which is also another stressor.

4) York U is only 15 kms (one way) from home , while UOIT is 80 kms (one way )from home?

Hence, not able to decide which one of these two offers to take

Is there a value for a PhD from YorkU or UOIT or what you make of the learning and research ?.

Confused in Toronto

Edited by Dekappitation

Hello there, Confused in Toronto! :) First of all, congrats of your offers!

You should probably clarify what it is you would like to accomplish by the end of the program. Is it university teaching/research? Also, I can only speak about the comm cult side of things. Please take that into account.

Technology (the we use it, the way it changes our ways of learning/seeing things, and etc.) is a big part of comm cult. There are so many things you can do with that, and so many areas of overlap with other fields of inquiry. Have you ever read the book "Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology" by Neil Postman? It changed my world. And such an easy/enjoyable read.

1. I don't believe that it is possible to do any full time PhD program while having a full time job, but it depends on you/the job. :)

3. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ASKmnoCuPKIJ:www.yorku.ca/gradcmct/documents/BACKGROUNDREADINGS06-Revised.doc+&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjI0In6MZpNyGlLRTHYcIHHU3G5q0DQDz3LO0NcBtiB-1kXhKduCWcnJX8xn72vrN1fPUFEvP4X4Becig72onUatVaRVenmHNOhPShq0N4AcXiq4nTG8keItxxHu2kEydwveKi7&sig=AHIEtbRKUcZsVy9TRST3GggjmABrmtg6ew

Sorry for a long link. It's to a list of background readings for incoming students to the program. Your requirements are to make sure that you work through this material. You need to have the tools in your arsenal which are specific to Comm and Cult.

4. Classes are both at Ryerson and York. Ryerson is right by U of T. This should probably also be taken into account.

hi guys, I'm just joining in ...I have just received two offers:

Offer 1: from York U for the PhD in comcult (part time) (no funding)

Ofer 2: from UOIT for PhD Computer science (fulltime) (possible funding)

My background is Bachelor of Engineering (Industrial engineering) + Masters of Design (Industrial Design)

My interest is to do a PhD in ComCult or CS with a slant on HCI linking industrial Design and usability. I believe that there exists a fantastic relationship between design, the process of design and ComCult discipline

I am also a full time teacher at a college teaching Industrial design

Dilema:

1) Is it really possible to do a full time PhD course (@ UOIT in CS) while having a full time job as a teacher?

2) I do not have any formal training in CS (I have done some programming in my engineering days 22 years ago) , hence my concern whether I would be able to cope up with the courses in CS at UOIT ?

3) with the PhD in communications and culture at York U , there are some conditions where I need to take a couple of MA level courses and manage a B+ to qualify for the PhD program, which is also another stressor.

4) York U is only 15 kms (one way) from home , while UOIT is 80 kms (one way )from home?

Hence, not able to decide which one of these two offers to take

Is there a value for a PhD from YorkU or UOIT or what you make of the learning and research ?.

Confused in Toronto

Hello AlyaLeka

thank you for your response and the link

5) Is there more value for a PhD from YorkU or from UOIT ; or is it what you make of the learning and research ?. Does the name of the University play an important role in adding "value" to the PhD.

any thoughts on this or others on this board ?

Confused in Toronto!

Hello there, Confused in Toronto! :) First of all, congrats of your offers!

You should probably clarify what it is you would like to accomplish by the end of the program. Is it university teaching/research? Also, I can only speak about the comm cult side of things. Please take that into account.

Technology (the we use it, the way it changes our ways of learning/seeing things, and etc.) is a big part of comm cult. There are so many things you can do with that, and so many areas of overlap with other fields of inquiry. Have you ever read the book "Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology" by Neil Postman? It changed my world. And such an easy/enjoyable read.

1. I don't believe that it is possible to do any full time PhD program while having a full time job, but it depends on you/the job. :)

3. https://docs.google....3GggjmABrmtg6ew

Sorry for a long link. It's to a list of background readings for incoming students to the program. Your requirements are to make sure that you work through this material. You need to have the tools in your arsenal which are specific to Comm and Cult.

4. Classes are both at Ryerson and York. Ryerson is right by U of T. This should probably also be taken into account.

Edited by Dekappitation

• 2 weeks later...

Hello AlyaLeka

thank you for your response and the link

5) Is there more value for a PhD from YorkU or from UOIT ; or is it what you make of the learning and research ?. Does the name of the University play an important role in adding "value" to the PhD.

any thoughts on this or others on this board ?

Confused in Toronto!

I think it's what you make of it. But, some schools have better facilities then others - and this could contribute to your degree and research. In regards to which one adds value to your Phd - I can't really answer that. I suppose it depends on what you plan on doing with your Phd. Some schools offer better connections then others. UofT has the prestige - but York is known for research and has much better funding. Ryerson is good for the practical element - but does not offer a lot of funding for Phd students. Or just not as much as York does for the ComCult program.

Edited by tiffanyamber81

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone, I applied to the PhD in Communication and Culture at York University for fall 2013. I know it's early in the admissions period right now, but I'm eager to hear back. If anyone in the program right now checks this, I'd love to hear how you're finding the the program and funding. 

Edited by TinaBelinda

Hi XIZI,

I said I was interested in working with Professors Steven Bailey, Susan Driver and Alan Blum. You?

Good luck! I think we'll hear mid March-mid April, if this year's process is anything like last year's.

Hi, I applied the PhD 2013 at Ryerson side. Haven't hear anything yet.

TinaBelinda, which professors did you choose?

HI, TinaBelinda

I wrote professors Wendy, Middleton, Clark Davis and Michael murphy in my application. Oh, Jason Nolan too. But I heard that he won't accept new students until 2015.

Good luck to you! Please post the result once you know it! I will do the same thing~

Hi XIZI,

I said I was interested in working with Professors Steven Bailey, Susan Driver and Alan Blum. You?

Good luck! I think we'll hear mid March-mid April, if this year's process is anything like last year's.

Edited by XIZI

• 3 weeks later...

I've applied to the Ryerson MA, but I'm curious to know if anyone has heard anything from either school yet? I'm expecting that decisions will be made in the next few weeks.