Northwestern

marXian

I've seen a lot of "accepted" posts for Northwestern on the survey. Anyone accept their offer yet and planning their move? I've been accepted to the religious studies program. I'll be visiting next weekend.

My biggest concern right now is figuring out housing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've been accepted to Applied Physics (PhD) @ Northwestern, and I've decided to go there. Unfortunately, I cannot pay a campus visit before matriculation. Can anyone tell me feelings about the campus?

BTW, I am considering finding roommates to rent an apt off campus. (It sounds very expensive to live on campus) Does anyone fancy the idea?

Hi, I have been accepted to the Materials Science (PhD) at Northwestern. I recently visited NU and from what i have heard it is hard to find housing on campus, let alone it being expensive. Most apartments in and around evanston go for about $750 (Studio/1bd rm) and two bedrooms are about $1100. I still haven't made up my mind whether to stay in a studio all by myself or in a 2 bedroom with a room mate. I'd say craigslist is the best place to look for apts or apartmentpeople.com.

I have been accepted into the Master of sports administration program for the fall 2012 quarter. I found a really good website for housing. www.wildcatpad.com

It was set up by northwestern students to help other students find housing in the area. I was thinking of trying to live on campus for my first year. How much do you think it would cost to get an apartment in chicago near the chicago campus? I'm from the suburbs and don't know a whole lot about city life. I was wondering if you think it is necessary to have a car with me?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I came out for a prospective weekend about a month ago. If you've never seen the campus, it's beautiful. I'm from California and had never seen any of the great lakes (I guess sort of like someone from the midwest having never seen the Pacific?) Anyway, I found out from people in my department that grad students (at least in the humanities) very rarely live in on campus housing because it's more expensive than other options and not as nice.

It seemed like most grad students live in south Evanston or Rogers Park. My feeling is that Rogers Park is probably where you'll get the most bang for your buck. The areas off of the Thorndale, Granville, Loyola, and Morse El stops are nice. There's a NU shuttle service that runs from the Loyola stop directly to campus. It's also possible to take the El, but there's one transfer from the red to the purple line, and if you miss the train, you could be out on the platform for 20-30 minutes. So in the dead of winter, that could be a huge bummer. It's also possible to ride a bike (about 15ish minutes according to one student.)

I was thinking of trying to live on campus for my first year. How much do you think it would cost to get an apartment in chicago near the chicago campus? I'm from the suburbs and don't know a whole lot about city life. I was wondering if you think it is necessary to have a car with me?

Most people I talked to did not have a car. They lived near El stops or the NU shuttle and used those or rode their bikes when it was warm. Some apartments don't have parking included, so you would have to pay extra for street parking. Some people I talked to even came with a car and decided to get rid of it after a month or so. Costs of places in Rogers Park range from about $700 to as much as $1500 and more. You can get a one bedroom, 600sq ft place for $750/mo, but there are places as big as 1500 sq ft for $1100/mo (which is an amazing deal, so that's certainly not the norm.)

Also one note about The Apartment People: It's a free service BUT, I've heard they're pushy. Since they live off of commission, they want you to sign a lease asap. One girl I talked to said her guy was super annoyed when, after seeing one place, she wanted to keep looking--like he was mad she wasn't just taking the first place. Other people had either heard similar things or had similar experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'd like to sublet my apartment in Rogers Park (close to the Morse stop and the NU Shuttle) this summer (preferably to someone at Northwestern), so DM me if you're interested.

Re: transportation, most of my friends live in Rogers Park and either take the shuttle at Loyola, the El or bike to Evanston. The change at Howard from the red to purple line can be a bummer on the way up, but I've never waited more than 15-20 minutes. Usually, the wait is between 5 and 10 minutes. On the way back, since Howard is the red line terminus, there is usually a southbound train waiting. If you can afford to pay a bit more in rent, you can also look in the Lakeview area next to Belmont, since the purple line runs express between Howard and the loop during rush hour. It's nice down there, and if you take the express train, it can be even faster than living farther north, but the rent is noticeably more expensive.

Otherwise, since Chicago is so flat, a bike can be a great thing to have during the warmer months.

Hi I can help you with your Northwestern questions. I grew up in Chicago and I have been at NWU for the past 3 years now.

The prices posted above is correct for housing around Evanston. Rogers park area in Chicago is close and definitely much cheaper but becareful where you are at in RP because some areas can definitely be unsafe. Evanston is a beautiful area to live at especially around campus. Plenty of great restaurants and a few good bars.

star2014, you're a Kellogg ... PhD?

Anyway, same here. I'm finishing up my first year and I lived in Evanston. It's a great city, but so is Chicago and its many neighborhoods.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I'm starting my PhD at Northwestern (Anthropology) this Fall and I'm preparing for my big move from Italy to Chicago.

I've never been to Chicago in my life and I'm still undecided whether I wanna live in Evanston (where I can afford just a very small studio) or in Rogers Park, because I know that many grad students live there.

I've found a pretty big one bedroom apartment off the Morse Red Line stop, could anyone tell me how's the neighborhood? Is it relatively safe for a young woman living alone?

Of course I'm not going to walk home alone in the middle of the night...I'm just asking if it is a decent place to live...

Hey, all-

I won't be attending NU, but very recently spent several months living in Evanston. Due to my sister and brother-in-law both doing their PhDs at NU, I got to spend quite a bit of time exploring the campus, and the area in general. The campus is abolutely beautiful! Right by the lake, the layout is nice, etc. The NU library is also fantastic...has editions of books you wouldn't even believe. Evanston on the whole is a really nice little town.

Living on campus is quite expensive, but living in downtown Evanston isn't too bad, and you'll still be quite close to campus. Rogers Park is the cheaper place to live, but with reason. Some of the accomodations are nice, but the area in general is a little "sketchy."

Anyway, I'm jealous of all you who got accepted to NU! It's a fantastic school, and I hope to maybe to my PhD there in two years..

I've found a pretty big one bedroom apartment off the Morse Red Line stop, could anyone tell me how's the neighborhood? Is it relatively safe for a young woman living alone?

Of course I'm not going to walk home alone in the middle of the night...I'm just asking if it is a decent place to live...

I have lived in Evanston for the past 7 years and am familiar with Roger's Park as well. I think it depends on your comfort level, Eliz, in response to living alone by Morse. I think that living as far east as possible (near Sheridan, the major road) would increase safety...but that would also entail walking further to the el. I personally wouldn't do it...I'd prefer to be closer to the Loyola stop or in Evanston. And you also say you won't be traveling in the middle of the night, but when it gets dark at 4:30pm in the winter, do you really want to feel not that safe every time you walk home from the el? http://chicago.every...ark/?only=crime --you can compare the crime reports to Evanston and see if you think there is a difference...I do consider it to be unsafe and wouldn't recommend this area to my girlfriends who are living alone.

Also keep in mind that the further away from campus you go in Evanston the cheaper housing gets. I live in southeast Evanston and my bang for buck is much better than the dumps on Ridge/Noyes by campus. Look on Hinman or Judson around Dempster or south of Dempster...you may be surprised by good deals.

For everyone thinking about living in Roger's Park- beware of bed bugs! PLEASE check this link before signing a lease and take note of all the bed bug reports in Roger's Park. I had a friend who went through hell for months because there was literally an infestation of bugs in his bed, his walls, you name it. He had to throw out a ton of his belongings. Pay a little extra to avoid this issue and have landlords who are proactive about pests! http://bedbugregistr...7.658870870968/

Edited by psychgurl

How much do you think it would cost to get an apartment in chicago near the chicago campus? I'm from the suburbs and don't know a whole lot about city life. I was wondering if you think it is necessary to have a car with me?

Is this program on the Chicago campus? I work on the Chicago campus, and unless you don't have a budget I don't see how it could work for a student. The studios around here (Gold Coast/Streeterville) go for $900-$1300+. Also, cars in the city mean added expenses...a spot could cost you $100/month on top of rent. Also, street parking sometimes requires a city permit depending on the neighborhood. Why not try Wrigleyville, Lakeview, or Lincoln Park?

Edited by psychgurl

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am an incoming grad student in McCormick. I found a place in W Arthur Avenue, opposite to Sheridan and Loyola stop. Is the area safe? I like the place since it is exactly opposite to Loyola university and close to the intercampus bus stop.

• 4 weeks later...

adahal, from what I've heard, you should be ok. My understanding is that between the Morse and Thorndale stops, but east of N. Clark are relatively safe areas for city living. Rogers Park can change block to block, but I've heard that those areas are much safer than up around the Jarvis/Howard stops or west of N. Clark.

• 8 months later...

Hey there!

I'm starting the SLP Master's program in the fall and am looking for a roommate!  Preferably a grad student in a different program, but SLP works too.  I'm pretty flexible and laid back.  Let me know if you're interested!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

If you are heading to Northwestern in the fall, I've gone ahead and made this facebook group with the hopes of connecting the incoming graduate students, regardless of major. Check it out and make sure to invite anyone else you may know from your class!

Hopefully it will prove useful for answering questions about the city, the university, the process of moving, finding roommates or anything else you might think of. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325338467568974/

Hey everyone,

If you are heading to Northwestern in the fall, I've gone ahead and made this facebook group with the hopes of connecting the incoming graduate students, regardless of major. Check it out and make sure to invite anyone else you may know from your class!

Hopefully it will prove useful for answering questions about the city, the university, the process of moving, finding roommates or anything else you might think of. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325338467568974/

Hi rrphenix, I'm an incoming BME Master's student. Is your fb group only for PhD's? Just looking to meet and interact with other grad students from different majors.

Hi rrphenix, I'm an incoming BME Master's student. Is your fb group only for PhD's? Just looking to meet and interact with other grad students from different majors.

Hey, not the person you replied to, but I was recently admitted to the MS BME program as well :)

Have you already been out there for a visit day?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey aaa63,

No its for all graduate students, I was just a little shortsighted when I made the title. Its more about getting to know one another, the city and the university before we all get there.

Hi All, 

I will starting my Ph.D. program in Rhetoric and Public Culture (School of Communication) at NU in the fall. Trying to start interacting with students who will also be entering in the fall. Cool thing is that I was born and raised in Chicago; however, I did my undergrad and masters outside of the Chicago-area. I will be living in Rogers Park ((3 blocks from the Howard Station--Purple/Red/Yellow lines). If you are starting at Northwestern, please partake in the forum here. By the way, is there a group on FB yet? 

Go Wildcats!!