Fordham's MSW Program

az1

I realize this program is often overshadowed by Hunter, Columbia, and NYU, but does anyone have thoughts on their program? I was accepted into their program (clinical concentration) and will be attending their accepted students session this week. I haven't found many posts on grad school forums, or any information outside their website. Would love to hear more about their program from other people on this site. Thanks.

Hi az1,

I have also been accepted into their program, I hope I can help you make a decision.

Fordham's program is well-known for their clinical concentration. I went to their orientation and the admissions director, aside from being eccentric, was optimistic about job outlook and salary expectations. Out of the 6 programs I attended information sessions for MSW programs, she was the only presenter who did not avoid potential students' worries about money. Take that however you will; some people find it refreshing, others pretentious.

When I look at all the programs for the "Top 4", NYU is probably the strongest and most flexible clinical program, while Columbia is less clinically focused. They seem to be more administration and social justice-focused. Fordham and Hunter's programs seem VERY similar to me - which is likely why Fordham's program seems to get lost a little. If given the choice between Hunter and Fordham, the extra cost might not be worth the perceived jump in prestige of the Fordham University name.

Keep in mind, these are my feelings - I hope they help you!

PS - I graduated from Fordham University in 2008 with a BS in Computer Science. I could not have been happier with my education there, and although I will most likely be attending Hunter this fall, it is for monetary reasons not anything against Fordham!

Thanks for your help, Arcoventry! Yes, the admissions director was extremely eccentric! I have an interview at Hunter next week, and haven't heard from NYU yet. I see you are also waiting to hear from NYU - when did you apply?? I hope to hear soon!

The Hunter interview is an interesting experiance - definitely different than any corporate interview I've ever had!! It's more of a discussion than an interview.

I applied to NYU on 12/22, but my application was not completed until 2/14 due to a transcript problem. My app status just changed to "Your application is complete and sent to the Faculty Review Committee for review." I am checking it every 3 minutes, I am driving myself insane.