Cornell 2012

waitforit

Hey there. I'm also waitlisted for Cornell's sociology program and I prefer it to my other options, so I'm holding out for an acceptance. I got an interview (as I assume the OP did as well), and from what I understand, the department made some offers and are waiting for rejections to make new offers. If you're not going to accept, I'd suggest you turn your spot down, as there are several waitlisted people (although I'm not sure if the WL is ranked or something).

Thanks!

Were you interviewed for the wait list spot? Do you have any other offers?

I was interviewed and wasn't able to get a direct offer. I have another offer from a program with a much lower ranking than Cornell, so i think i'll take it if i'm offered the spot.

Hey there. I'm also waitlisted for Cornell's sociology program and I prefer it to my other options, so I'm holding out for an acceptance. I got an interview (as I assume the OP did as well), and from what I understand, the department made some offers and are waiting for rejections to make new offers. If you're not going to accept, I'd suggest you turn your spot down, as there are several waitlisted people (although I'm not sure if the WL is ranked or something). Thanks!

Well, it seems that at least 3 people have been wait listed...wondering who would be the lucky one...so cruel...

I do not know. Have you been interviewed? Email the grad coordinator, but at that point do not hope for much. I was told that they would have everything finished by the end of February. Good luck anyway!

Thanks for the response. I emailed Ms. Susan Meyer a few weeks ago, who said on Feb. 22 that they would have decisions sent out around the end of February. I assume that they haven't yet mailed rejections, but I hoped that potentially there was still some outside shot of acceptance.

I know that is unlikely, but can't understand why they have left me hanging this long?!?!

• 1 month later...

Hey—I was one of the people accepted off the waitlist and I'll be going to Cornell in the fall. @Karlito: are you? Should we start a Facebook group or something?

You are going? Awesome! And congratulations on getting off the waitlist. I confirmed my offer a few days ago. What are your interests? It is exciting to meet my future fellow students! I wil be the immigration/race and ethnicity guy (unless I am not the only one :)

Karlito, I'll be sure to set up a Facebook group in the near future. Quick question about accepting the offer though: the website didn't work for me, so I had Susan Meyer do it. Did you get your Cornell NetID and stuff yet? I just want to make sure I'm in the system. Thanks!

Hey I had trouble doing it on CollegeNet too. I managed in the end to formally accept the offer on the web with my ID and all that. I will get the NetId thing next week (it has been sent to me but I have not received it yet). If Susan did it it should be ok. What are your interests? Have you visited and met with profs there?

Edit: I just saw you mention econ soc on your profile. You came to the right place!

Edited by Karlito

Karlito, yeah—I hope I picked the right place! I didn't have a chance to visit because of the short notice, but it was clearly my best option and the department spent a lot of time chatting with me. I'm probably going to visit sometime next week, check out housing options, etc.

As for research: I'm interested in how societies deal with their high-powered financial markets. What is considered legitimate, what things are regulated, how people are encouraged to interact with those markets, etc. I'm not sure how historical or narrow my approach will be yet, but I suppose that's why you have lots of time to explore and research.

How about you? You said immigration and race/ethnicity. Are you going to focus on the States, Europe, or somewhere else? Any particular angle you're interested in exploring?

Edited by gberry

Alright cool I just added you. As for my interests, I like comparative stuff. I worked a lot on Europe before and would like to expand my focus and also look at the US. Main angle of attack is racism and immigrant assimilation. Who are you POIs? I met Swedberg when I visited and I can tell you he is a nice guy! And brilliant as well!