University of Edinburgh

antecedent

I've been taking a look at this thread for quite awhile now... didn't want to post anything in case I didn't get in. I found out today that I was offered an unconditional acceptance into the MPP (Masters of Public Policy) program through the Academy of Government at Edinburgh University! I'm incredibly thrilled! :)

Congrats Sweetpea! What was the unconditional reason? What does that mean? Sorry to be poking you about it.

Congrats Sweetpea! What was the unconditional reason? What does that mean? Sorry to be poking you about it.

Thanks Hanyuye! :) Looks like antecedant answered much of your question. You may also have a conditional acceptance if you need to submit to and pass something like a police background check, such as my husband needs to do, because within the scope of his program he will be working with a vulnerable population. I will not be, so I have the unconditional acceptance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! One more for Edinburgh next year :) I'm starting to get very excited and only slightly concerned about finding a place to live.

Are all of you planning to apply for University housing? I have a friend who studied there and said it is possible to get a much better deal privately, but I suspect that would involve actually going to Edinburgh before September..

Congratulations! And welcome. I'm soooo ready for September to arrive!

Yeah I was convinced I was only going to look privately, to hell with uni housing. Then, I realized uni housing included utilities, internet, and a cleaner, and is also in the coolest part of town AND under 20 minutes from my building. So I decided to suck it up. It's only a year, after all, and for me the pros ended up outweighing the cons. However, if your absolute number one concern is to do things as cheaply as possible, then renting privately might be better for you. Though there are a few halls that are under the equivalent of $700 CDN per month, which is roughly what I'm paying now (once you take into account utilities, internet, etc.)...I guess it depends how much legwork you're willing to do in August/September and how much uncertainty/stress you are willing to put up with along the way.

For reference, I applied to Mylnes Court, Morgan Court, and Causewayside (or the other one).

When I studying abroad at Edinburgh, I lived in Kincaids Court. I thought it was really nice (but nothing special) self catered flat, and it was a short walk to George Square. My thought is if you don't want the hassle of finding a flat on your own, uni housing is the way to go. Additionally, going uni housing is a great way to meet fellow students. My best friends for the semester was the four other girls I shared the common space of the flat with.

If you are more independent or are looking for getting the biggest bang for your buck, you can checkout sites like gumtree (the UK's version of craigslist) to see what flats in Edinburgh are going for.

Best of luck to you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, has anyone who applied for university housing been allocated a room yet? I'm getting kind of antsy because of how little correspondence I've had with the university, and having a confirmed roof over my head would at least make me feel more like this whole thing was real :P

Also, has anyone who applied for the Santander scholarship heard back? I heard back from the Global Masters in late May but I haven't heard back about the Santander yet and I'm curious if they haven't made their decision yet or if I just fucked up the application.

Thanks! Hope your guys' summer is going well :)

Hi there,

I didn't apply for uni housing, but from my memory when I studied abroad fall '07 (granted policies may have changed since then) and applied for uni housing, I don't remember hearing back about it months in advance, much like when I applied for uni housing through my undergraduate program in the United States. If you are worried about it, I recommend giving them a call/ e-mailing them to find out. From my experience with both calling & e-mailing the University, people get back to you quite quickly, which is really nice.

I applied for both Global Masters and Santander scholarships. I heard back from Global (not successful), but not Santander. Not holding my breath, I know they are both very competitive scholarship opportunities.

I didn't get the Global either! I was/am quite bummed about that.

For both of them, did you just submit one app and click both scholarships or did you submit separate applications? I'm relieved to know that not hearing back yet about the Santander doesn't necessarily mean I'm out of the running.

I was called by a uni Edinburgh student yesterday and she said that things like housing are typically a month behind, so we won't hear back until July or so.

Basically, I just need to stop worrying and love the wait. September, hurry up!

Edited by antecedant

Haha yes! September... hurry up! :) I like that thinking!

I applied under one application for both scholarships. It gave me the option to tick which scholarships I was applying for. I thought that I would be able to submit separately, that way I could make the essays unique, but I couldn't figure it out. I reasoned that if they had that option, then they wanted more of a general application.

Sorry to hear about not getting the Global either, if it wasn't me, it would have been nice to at least know someone who did win. Guess, we just have to wait and see.

I got a call from an Edinburgh Uni student as well. We had about a 30 min conversation about the University, grading policies, living overseas, social aspects,etc. I thought it was a really nice touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Bah, looks like I'm 0 for 2 in the scholarship game. Waiting for two more responses. Sigh.

Did anyone here get the Saltire? It would be nice if at least one GC-er got it!

Boo! I'm sorry to hear that Jon. I'm a tiny bit resentful towards the university for being so expensive and not offering at all to help (by contrast LSE costs about the same and offered to pay half my friend's tuition for "need-based aid". I have need too! *grumble*). I plan on working out this resentment by taking advantage of every free service the university has to offer :P

Nice, right on. I'm just reassuring myself that this will be my ticket to much better fare, doctoral program-wise, down the road.

By the way, have you heard back about lodging? I've been told I will be notified about the lodging decision at the end of the week. *fingers crossed*

Nice, right on. I'm just reassuring myself that this will be my ticket to much better fare, doctoral program-wise, down the road.

By the way, have you heard back about lodging? I've been told I will be notified about the lodging decision at the end of the week. *fingers crossed*

Hell yes. My thoughts exactly.

Also noooooo and it's killing me! But this is great and exciting news! I'm relieved because I really want to know at least where to google map obsessively for the next two months. Did your top choice end up being Mylnes Court too?

Hey, look what it says in my MyEd login:

You have been allocated accommodation, a link to accept this accommodation will be posted shortly.

Come on, guys, don't be such a tease!

You mean you already know which halls you'll be living in? I can't find a link anywhere that tells me where I'll be staying, all I know is that they have allocated me a room in a house somewhere. Sigh. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Aargh, not only did they allocate me housing that I didn't select on the application, they also allocated me something I can't afford! I think this means I have to re-submit my application if I want to be placed somewhere else, and run the risk of being placed somewhere more expensive. This application cycle has been nothing but bad luck from start to finish!

Argh! That seems very odd. Didn't you apply before I did? I would write to the accommodations people and make sure they are aware of where you're coming from and what's up on their end. At least helps to have a person to talk to instead of endless applications and notes.