What should I do?

Hi everybody

I am an international student and I have a funded offer from a university in US. The offer's deadline is March 09,2012 and it can't be extended. The problem is that it is my only offer and I haven't heard back from the other universities I have applied to. I wanted to know if I can accept this offer and somehow cancel it after I receive a better offer? If I accept this, do I become committed to the first university? Is there any chance that the first university does not accept my cancellation request?

I'd appreciate it if anyone could answer me.

They can't "not accept" the cancellation. They can't force you to go to their school. But it is possible that you can ruffle some feathers and set yourself up to have some hurt feelings with someone whose path you have to cross later in life.

Personally, I say accept the offer and then pull out if you have to. There will be many who disagree with me, for a number of reasons. But I think that it's unreasonable and even unethical for a school to force you to make a choice before all of your other offers are in, and if that's the way they're going to play the game, then they're going to have to deal with people pulling out after having accepted. That's my thinking, anyway. I've been fortunate that my schools have not forced me to accept early and were understanding when I said I was waiting for one more decision. I think it's only fair.

What school is it? Most schools have signed an agreement not to set a deadline for decisions before April 15. Sometimes the faculty don't know this, so it'd be good to find out and let them know.

Otherwise, you might lose a deposit, but like MediaMom said, they can't force you to go.