Should I be more prepared?

stell4

I've been accepted to a master's program that though still a science, it is quite different from my undergraduate degree. I am worried I am going to show up in the fall and be seen for what I feel like I am, unprepared... clueless maybe? I've started looking into some article, however, I don't know where to start. I bought a book my adviser contributed to which I hope will prepare me a little more.

Do I need to get with it and do some serious delving into articles/books/research to be prepared? Or is this somewhat common?

Congrats on CSU! I don't think you have too much to worry about this fall. You and the rest of us will be in the same boat and feel like complete idiots, because that's how most new grad students feel. As for reading up on materials related to your program, a good start would be to review the departmental web site, especially POI's pages. You will find numerous publications listed in any professor's cv or on their webpage. Don't burn yourself out on these though. Enjoy your time before the weight of school settles in :)

I am starting to feel underprepared too.. I was just sent a list of other prospectives, and the vast majority of them are coming in with MAs, interesting work experience and the like, and I do not have either. I obviously can't make up for that right now, but it makes me doubt myself a lot. I am coming straight from my undergraduate studies; will I be able to relate and keep up with such a cohort?

To Stell4, if I was switching fields, I would probably want to get acquainted with the current state of my new area first, probably pick up the a few key books at the library. Like TropicalCharlie said, it is probably also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the faculty's work; plus you can trace the references they make in their papers and identify relevant literature in the field.

I felt the same way when I got accepted in February. I thought perhaps there was a clerical error and my school would be calling to pull their offer. It is weird the stuff that goes through our heads when we feel we are lacking.

But my younger sister is already finishing up a PhD and she said what we are feeling is normal and the majority of your cohorts are in the same boat with feelings of inadequacy. My sister should know, what with her PhD in Psychology.