Need reassurance - am I making the right decision?

Hi all, I'm new to these boards and I've recently had to make a very tough decision between grad schools. The decision seems clear to me in terms of research interests and supervisor compatibility, but I'm also torn because I'm choosing a lower-ranked school with less funding.

The first school I received an offer from is an Internationally ranking top 20 school in Canada and has offered me a very generous fellowship. If I went to this school I would have more of a chance of getting hired at a top university after graduation. But, I'm not really liking the direction of research the faculty member who accepted me is heading towards - and I also didn't really like his personality when I met with him.

The second school is my undergraduate school and is an Internationally ranking top 50-100 school. I really like the department and I get along well with my supervisor. I'm also really interested in his research directions and I feel like I fit in better with his theoretical framework. However, this school hasn't offered me much in terms of funding (I think I'll be able to live comfortably, but I will have to pick up some TAships whereas at the other school I wouldn't have to).

I've almost made up my mind about staying at my undergrad school just based on research interest and advisor compatibility but I need some reassurance that I'm making the right choice. It's really hard for me to turn down this high-ranking school with a really great funding offer. :/

Is there any possibility of negotiating funding? Also, think long and hard about this -- I know some people who say that you shouldn't attend the same school for undergrad and PhD...

I think that I can ask for a top-up at the undergrad institution - so the funding factor might get fixed.

And what you've mentioned about staying at the same undergrad school is a concern of mine. But, I've talked to multiple people and there seem to be mixed opinions, and some people think that this is an outdated view that's changing.

In the long run, it just seems better to me to pick a school where my interests fit in better. Because additionally... it's not just that I'm not as interested in the research at the high-ranking institution, but I don't really agree with the theoretical framework that the advisor wants the research to go towards in the next 5 years.... :/

If the fit is right, then I'd ask about funding and just bite the bullet! :) Congrats!

I'll second that. Less funding is unfortunate, but not unmanageable. On the other hand, spending the next 6-7 years with an advisor you don't get along with, doing research in a theoretical framework you don't support, etc., would be much worse, in my humble opinion. Getting a PhD is already tough enough on its own, without added pressures such as those.

Likewise, coming from a top-tier school certainly helps to secure a job/tenure, but it isn't everything. It sounds to me like you'd be much happier in the lower-ranked school, and so - who knows? Maybe you'd be that much more productive in publishing and presenting at conferences, and so on.

If you have a bad relationship with your advisor, life can be miserable even if the streets are paved with gold. ()

At the same time, please do keep in mind that somewhere along the line, it is likely you're going to have a less than ideal relationship with someone who has power over your future. And sometimes good relationships deteriorate unexpectedly.

So if you go with the more reputable program and the person for whom you don't care, you may have an opportunity to develop a useful set of skills on someone else's dime.

Can you give us an idea about how big the gap in funding is?

I actually just spoke to a few people at the undergrad school and it turns out that the gap won't be much different. The big difference will be that I will have to work for it (i.e., TAships, RAships) at the undergrad school whereas at the other school it would just be handed to me. I don't mind working for it though...

I'm having such a hard time with this! I feel like I've pretty much decided that I fit in better at my undergrad school but it's just so hard to turn down the other school because it has a better reputation and better known psych department. I just don't want to regret this decision later on. Not to mention that the advisor at the other school has been trying so hard to get me to come there but I just don't feel like I will be aligned with his research interests or that we will work well together.

Is it SO terrible to turn down a top-ranked school for an average school? Am I crazy?!?!? :/

I actually just spoke to a few people at the undergrad school and it turns out that the gap won't be much different. The big difference will be that I will have to work for it (i.e., TAships, RAships) at the undergrad school whereas at the other school it would just be handed to me. I don't mind working for it though...

I'm having such a hard time with this! I feel like I've pretty much decided that I fit in better at my undergrad school but it's just so hard to turn down the other school because it has a better reputation and better known psych department. I just don't want to regret this decision later on. Not to mention that the advisor at the other school has been trying so hard to get me to come there but I just don't feel like I will be aligned with his research interests or that we will work well together.

Is it SO terrible to turn down a top-ranked school for an average school? Am I crazy?!?!? :/

Being interested in the research that is going on at the university where you do your PhD. is the most important in my opinion. That said, you dont have to do your graduate research with the PI who sent you the acceptance letter. Are there no other labs at the Canadian university that you are interested in? You could contact those labs and see if there is a oppurtunity for you to do your research with them (you dont need a commitment, just a confirmation that they are interested in taking on graduate students).

Personally I wouldnt want to stay in the same institute for my graduate studies as my undergraduate studies, but that is a personal preference. My reasoning is that moving into a new location will teach you alot about coping with the changes that will innevitably come when you finish your graduate studies. It also never hurts to meet new people, especially those that work in a similar field as you.

Am I crazy?!?!? :/

If you really think that money is just going to be "handed" to you, you may well be.

If you accept the offer, anticipate being held to a high standard of performance by your department, being subject to a review at the end of each academic year, and having at least one fellow graduate student competing against you with a very high level of intensity. This student may end up being a good friend or a dangerous foe, but in either case, others will watch to see how you respond.