deferral question

mallow

I have recently been accepted to a highly competitive PhD program. Am waiting to hear back from some other places I applied to. It is possible I should have waited a year before applying, but the fact is I'm faced with the following situation: I would prefer to defer this admission because I want time to work abroad and volunteer. I was dealing with a serious family illness and then the death of a parent last year and summer and had more family responsibilities this fall so was not able to do any of this.

The official literature from this university says deferral is not possible. But I am wondering if I should ask anyway, and if so, what I should give as my reason.

Thanks so much for any advice.

It can't hurt to ask. All they can say is no. You can also ask if, in the case deferral is not possible, if you'd be given priority consideration if you officially reapplied next year.

The thing is, I don't think they're going to be happy with your reason. It's one thing to ask for a deferral because you're dealing with the death of a parent and family obligations. But it sounds as if those obligations have been met, and you want to defer so you can travel. That's not very compelling. Can't you work abroad and/or volunteer after you finish school? Or try to work a semester abroad or volunteer work into your school experience?

Thanks for the advice. I agree about the reason. I actually want to defer so I can work abroad as a journalist (which I have done before). If I wait until this program is over to do that, it will be 5-6 years from now and it won't be practical either personally or professionally.