Learning a new language from scratch- NOT a medievalist

Dear All,

I would really like to hear about how feasible (or not) you think it is to learn a foreign language from scratch to meet the language requirement. I do know one modern language, but i'm wondering about the second.

It would be wonderful to hear from people who have done this in the past, and how they went about it.

In my specific case, the graduate school that accepted me does provide free language tutorials, but I'm also looking at how to manage these with the graduate coursework that one will have to do.

I can't speak from experience, but I've been concerned about similar requirements. I think it's a good idea to get the details from your particular program, as they seem to vary from school to school. There have definitely also been some threads where the topic came up - can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but I'll try to find them and link them for you later.

My take on it has always been this - since you don't have to be a great speaker, only a reader and writer, go with a language closest to the one you already know. For example, if the language you're already confident with is a Romance language, do Latin or another Romance language, because the syntax and cognates that carry over will do half the job for you. (I suggest this because the foreign language I'm most comfortable with is Spanish, but from studying a lot of art history and just lit in general, I come upon French text fairly often and can skim it somewhat. I have to put in more work to be passable, but it will be easier than a totally new language. That said, I couldn't pronounce anything in French for my life. It always sounds like Spanish...which is just weird, I know.)

EDIT: I also don't know your concentration, but choice of a language to pursue might also depend on how useful it is in that field.

Edited by anxious_aspirant

Well, I *am* a medievalist, so as one of the people who has to pick up whatever language a particular primary or secondary source just happens to be in, perhaps I can offer helpful advice. ;)

If there is strong tradition of scholarship in your subfield in a particular language, learn that one.

As far as the actual language acquisition goes, most people here audit the undergrad intro classes. There are a few graduate reading classes offered in the summer (mostly the basic languages--Spanish, French, German). If your own school does not offer any, you can probably get a grant through the international studies office (or equivalent thereof) to take a summer class either at another U.S. university, or at a program abroad! (Woo!)

During the learning process, I find it very helpful to read children's and YA books in the target language--especially ones that I've already read in English. :P Just to get myself used to it.

Also, keep in mind that there is a difference btwn "learning a language" and "learning a language for the test." The second is much, much easier. Of course, if there's a bunch of scholarship on something relevant to your research interests in a particular language, you probably have to, well, actually learn it.

And finally, speaking as a medievalist: if you know a Romance language, the advice to learn another Romance language is good--but for the love of all that is holy, don't pick Latin unless your dept requires it. :)

@anxious_aspirant, sparky- thanks a lot.

My case is something like this-- My specialization is Victorian British and Post Colonial Indian Writing. I can read primary material in Hindi, and speak it very fluently. I'm guessing most of my material will be in English, and at most perhaps I will need to look at a few papers in Hindi. The school i plan to attend gives me the chance of opting for one language at an advanced level. Now, im wondering if i should just start reading Hindi (just getting myself to read at a comfortable pace for I haven't read high Hindi literature in a while) for this. Also, if I am advised to take a second foreign language, I'm hoping to do French.. if only to make better sense of the many French terms thrown into the novels of Victorian England. I did take beginner's French a couple of years ago, but thats just basic, and I'm guessing il need some more tutoring before actually taking on an exam.

I would be very grateful if you guys could let me know what you think of my chances, given the above scenario.

In your case, coffeecurls, I think it would be for the best for you to continue with Hindi and try to strengthen your advanced knowledge of it. Your specialization relates directly to Hindi and the French terms probably won't be anything that you wouldn't be able to understand with a basic dictionary/phrasebook. I'm currently struggling with filling my M.A. foreign language requirement with Spanish, which really won't have anything to do with my specialization (Southern lit), but which is definitely the language I've had the most experience with. When and if I get into a program, I plan on just re-building my understanding of French from the ground up, since that's the language that will give me the greatest benefit for my specialization.

Everyone's different with languages - some have an instinct for it, others have a tougher time. I think, sometimes, that already being bilingual helps, since you're used to language-switching when necessary.

That said, I've asked professors similar questions, and they've said they were able to start a language from scratch and fulfill the requirements easily. I've definitely heard more people saying it's not too hard than people saying it went poorly. I even had professors tell me to just not worry about it. For all it's worth!

And finally, speaking as a medievalist: if you know a Romance language, the advice to learn another Romance language is good--but for the love of all that is holy, don't pick Latin unless your dept requires it. :)

Hahaha, oh Latin. When I was a wee undergraduate freshman, I decided to begin my 2 year language requirement. I thought taking Latin sounded interesting, and my adviser convinced me it would be helpful. But now I study gender and sexuality in contemporary literature/pop culture with a side serving of Middle Eastern studies. Needless to say, taking Latin was completely useless. But now I can be really annoying at parties!

Summer or while doing coursework is the best time to learn new languages, and it is totally possible to do it while you're in school. Especially if you already have one language and you learn the second in the same language family, you'll find the process pretty smooth. Good luck!

I'm hoping to pick up German during my MA, though my French could use some work and my Spanish is so very sad...but so much research on the history of English is in German that I will probably end up trying to learn it over a summer too.

Out of curiosity, what language are you looking to learn from scratch?

To be honest, from what I understand, passing the language requirement--wherever you are--is pretty much a joke. I seriously wouldn't worry about it from a "requirement" point of view. Most of the "tests" just want you to translate a passage (not even that long, sometimes a couple of paragraphs) using a dictionary. One of my undergrad professors said that he just looked up every word and then sorted out potential meanings; he said he had pretty much zero background in the language.

If you are interested in learning the language strictly from a professional point of view, i.e., you think you might need it for your own professionalization, that is probably a different story.

How difficult the test is really, really depends on the program. Some are very easy; some are quite challenging. Not all are translation exams, and not all are open-dictionary. In my program, different faculty members design and grade different language exams, so the difficulty really depends on the language you are working with, as some of the faculty have created quite onerous tests and others have produced very easy ones. Regardless of difficulty, it is best to focus on a language that will be helpful for your own research, either on the literature or theory side. If you're doing literature of the American southwest, for example, Spanish may be useful because there could be cross-over literatures. If, methodologically, you maintain an abiding interest in psychoanalysis, you would probably be well served learning French. (French is often a safe bet because so much important theory coming out of the 20th century is written in it.) In the long run, you'll be far better off learning a language that is relevant to your work than learning one that will be easier for some department test. Basically, if you work on a language that will be easy for you now but is not particularly useful in the long run, you'll just have to spend time learning and re-learning the pertinent language(s) later on when the stakes are higher and more immediate.

@Antecedent, Stately Plump and Phil Sparrow- Thanks a lot! I was thinking of learning French ( My area is Victorian). I am looking only at fulfilling the language requirement, since I am fairly well off (Used to read literature in that language in school, and did all-right by way of comprehension, and speak it very fluently) with Hindi, which I am guessing I might need to look at some of the documents for one part of my thesis ( which is post colonial in orientation)