Harvard vs Columbia - MA in Education

doer1104

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in my post.

Here's my situation: I got in to Harvard (MA in International Education Policy) and Columbia TC (MA in International Educational Development). I haven't decided where to go and am still waiting to hear from Vanderbilt. ANYWAYS, I really need someone who knows this area well and possibly can give me an advice that I really need.

The Harvard program is a year-long program. Since my background is Chemical Engineering (a huge transition) and I didn't have an opportunity to take any education-related courses during my undergraduate years, I wonder if I can make it just for a year (actually 9 or 10 months). For now, I would like to pursue a ph.D after completing a master's program and this is another problem; I have no publications, thesis or something similar. Would I really be able to apply for ph.D program after completing a MA at Harvard (only with my SOP and recommendation letters)? However, everyone tells me, 'it's Harvard'. Needless to say I'd love to study at Harvard, share my experience with my future classmates and awesome faculty, and take advantage of its prestige, and so on.

For Columbia TC, it's a two-year program. It's in NYC. It will offer me great opportunities. Yet, its cohort size is far bigger than the Harvard case which possibly means it might be hard/harder to communicate with professors out of the classroom. I also heard that chances that international students can get scholarships are slim (never heard about Harvard regarding this. If anyone knows about this, your comment will be very appreciated). It's in NYC, again, of course, it's very expensive. TC is a practical program and I wonder if it's still okay to go for TC when I'm considering pursuing a ph.D after a master's program.

I really need your opinions. Thank you for your time in advance.

Cheers

+ If you know more about the two programs, could you share it for me and other viewers? Thank you.

Edited by doer1104

Hi all,

Here's my situation: I got in to Harvard (MA in International Education Policy) and Columbia TC (MA in International Educational Development). I haven't decided where to go and am still waiting to hear from Vanderbilt. ANYWAYS, I really need someone who knows this area well and possibly can give me an advice that I really need.

The Harvard program is a year-long program. Since my background is Chemical Engineering (a huge transition) and I didn't have an opportunity to take any education-related courses during my undergraduate years, I wonder if I can make it just for a year (actually 9 or 10 months). For now, I would like to pursue a ph.D after completing a master's program and this is another problem; I have no publications, thesis or something similar. Would I really be able to apply for ph.D program after completing a MA at Harvard (only with my SOP and recommendation letters)? However, everyone tells me, 'it's Harvard'. Needless to say I'd love to study at Harvard, share my experience with my future classmates and awesome faculty, and take advantage of its prestige, and so on.

For Columbia TC, it's a two-year program. It's in NYC. It will offer me great opportunities. Yet, its cohort size is far bigger than the Harvard case which possibly means it might be hard/harder to communicate with professors out of the classroom. I also heard that chances that international students can get scholarships are slim (never heard about Harvard regarding this. If anyone knows about this, your comment will be very appreciated). It's in NYC, again, of course, it's very expensive. TC is a practical program and I wonder if it's still okay to go for TC when I'm considering pursuing a ph.D after a master's program.

Cheers

+ If you know more about the two programs, could you share it for me and other viewers? Thank you.

Hey! Fellow IEP applicant here!

I hope you get into Peabody because it seems they would be perfect for your needs. Other than that, I vote HGSE.

Hi all,

Cheers

Hello,

The only thing I can add is that the Columbi program can actually be completed in 1 year if you go full time. It is not a 2 year program. That is what attracted me to it in the first place! Unfortunately I did not apply to Harvard so I don't know much about that program. Good luck with your decision!

Hi, I want to say this as nicely as possible but also want to be completely honest about the drawbacks of both programs -- recognizing that there are many great things about them. I am a PhD student in ICE at a comparably selective program but have not studied at either institution. But, I do care a lot about the ICE field and obviously know lots of people who have been through both programs. In general, my vote would be Harvard, not because of the name at all, but because I've heard really less-than-stellar things about the TC program...TC really has a reputation as being a diploma mill, even though their faculty are great, most of their students are balancing working full/part time with academics (many classes are even scheduled in the evenings for that very reason)...and MA students just aren't a priority with so many PhD students around. So, I think that the quality of the courses (less time = less effort on school work) is less than you would get at Harvard. Also, neither is really well known for faculty attention, but Harvard is probably a bit better than TC.

In terms of the pathway to PhD, it's complicated. Research and good recommendations from networked professors are probably your best bets for PhD -- do you write a research paper/monograph/thesis in either program? If you can take that and turn it into a publication, go for that program! TC being 2 years might let you do that....however, you also need the chance to get to know faculty and even work with them, so again, we are back to the issue of faculty attention...

Also, anecdotally, I think the Harvard program is a better pathway to PhD, but to be completely honest, you will probably need some work experience first after the MA.

Last, I would go with $ -- no point going into huge amounts of debt if you ultimately want a PhD in ICE, the payoff is not that great....

Good luck!!!