Hey I was accepted into Rutgers last week, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the program?

I am leaning towards going because tuition is much lower than the NYC schools I applied to and I'd be able to live with my boyfriend who will be doing a fellowship in NJ (cheap rent!).

I was also accepted into Columbia and Teachers College (for counseling psychology), and even with scholarships, I want to be in as little debt as possible when I graduate. I just don't want to give up an ivy league school if it will truly make a difference in getting me a job after..

Does anyone have any advice/know about the MSW at Rutgers?

Thank you!

Rutgers is OK, but I'd go to Columbia if I were you. Trust me, you will make up any greater debt in substantially better employment opportunities with a Columbia degree.

Teachers college I am not sure about, isn't it actually also a Columbia school? Specifically, clinical psychology, as far as I understand, is a particularly prestigious degree. I applied to Rutgers myself, and I understand some of its graduate programs are very good, but not against Columbia.

I'd only choose Rutgers over Columbia if the financial difference was extreme -- eg. Columbia was full tuition, and Rutgers was a full scholarship and a stipend.

Else, if we are talking about Columbia teacher's college, then the Clinical Psychology one there.

Edited by Olga Childs

If the program at Columbia you are talking about is only an MA, you would be much better off with an MSW. I have a friend who did a LPC from Columbia and he is still having trouble finding stable work. I got accepted to Rutgers University also. I was just there this morning. I will probably be attending the Newark Campus. The only problem I have is that I live in Queens NY. The commute for me is about 1 hour and 40 minutes. I also have to pay out of state tuition. I am going to try and get the out of state tuition waived. If I don't go to Rutgers I will end up going to Lehman College. It makes no sense to rack up tons of debt when completing an MSW. Rutgers is a great choice.