LSE 2012 - MPA, MSc IR, and other gov't affairs

Since other schools have threads, I thought I'd start a general thread on LSE admissions decisions and the ensuing discussions of whether to go.

Also, anyone want to claim the freshly posted admit to the MPA in Public and Economic Policy? How many weeks did it take after the 4th email? I ask because my file was passed on to the same MPA program after my first choice program couldn't make their mind up in the 8-week period...

I applied to LSE for the MSc IR like 3 weeks ago... I am hoping they will be a bit quicker than normal as I applied rather late. It would be an interesting proposition if I got in. Durham on the other hand took like a week to admit me.

I also asked a similar question about timing here, maybe it'll help too:

Thanks for the response, though I meant this as a thread for general discussion for people who are considering going, with an additional question directed at the person who got into the MPA in Public and Economic Policy.

Already got into a program I'm happy with on Friday, though, so I'm no longer as antsy as when I posted this. :) Hitting week 6 tomorrow, so I'll likely hearing back soon...

Hmm, so from what I've heard about LSE in general is that it has a competitive learning atmosphere and is also more quant-heavy than some other places. Other than that, I'd like to hear more about how it is to study there. I've seen the location in London and it is pretty nice and central, though... It is probably one of my top choices now based on location and 'prestige', but not so sure about the fit yet.

Hi.

I was accepted to the MPA International Development at LSE.

It took me 3 weeks to hear from them after the fourth email.

But I received the 4th email in Mid January...

Other admits I found on another Forum to MPA PEP and the other MPA streams, received their acceptances in 3-4 weeks after the 4th email..

I got an offer for the MPA in Intl Development in mid February. It was just over four weeks after my application went under consideration, which was in mid January. It's my top choice and I'm 99% certain I'm going, but I just got accepted to SAIS so now I'm redoing all my research. The LSE program seems great - academically challenging, very quant which I want and incredibly international, but SAIS's reputation in the US is stronger as the MPA is young (founded in 2003). LSE's reputation is stronger than SAIS's in most places outside of the US, but I'm from the US so it does matter to an extent... LSE is pretty strong in the US as well though. I'm sure I'll be confident with my decision again once a week or two goes by.

Greendiplomat, what was your first choice?

• 3 weeks later...

The sense I got from a friend of mine who finished the program is that they do view it as a 'legitimate' masters, so to speak. This is in spite of it being a masters from outside of the United States and it being shorter. I am referring to the MSc masters which is one year, but obviously two years is even stronger. Many friends of mine found work in the US no problem after doing a masters at LSE. A very good friend went to work for the British embassy in DC and is now at Google in Mountain View, CA.

My sense is that it would be very unlikely to run across someone in government administration / non-profit / international organization / foreign service / etc. anywhere in the world who has NOT heard of LSE.

I made sure to do this kind of asking around before applying, as I am an American citizen and could end up back there after my masters. However, I am not yet sure where it is I would like to live following the masters, so having a name on my resume that is recognized across the world is very important to me. This is why LSE and Harvard were my top choices. As Harvard is not offering any money and I have a full ride to LSE, I will very likely end up enrolling at the latter.

Oh and anyone reading this forum considering applying next year should know to apply as early as possible to LSE because they do rolling admissions.

Their application opened far and away the earliest of any school that I applied to (mid-October), so I applied there first. It was actually a good, light application (1 essay of 1,000 - 1,500 words) to get the ball rolling and force me to put together my personal statement, 70% of which I re-used for other applications. I applied in mid-October and heard back just after new years, so it was a good 11-12 weeks before they replied.

Thanks, BB84, and congrats on the offers and funding! I had got a good international view of how people view the LSE (I was out of the country when looking into programs and applying), but I had only really started looking into the US view once I had been accepted to the LSE... late start.

To add to what you said about applying to the LSE, I also recommend applying early, but really only at least as early as you would apply to the US schools (maybe earlier if you're applying to something super competitive like Econ, Finance). From what I hear, they didn't really release many offers at all until just before Christmas, but they did start giving them out pretty full on in early January. I applied in early December, got all of my recommendations in by early January, and heard back in mid February.

I just got into LSE for MSc IR today! I think this is my top choice right now... though SOAS and Durham are not that far behind. No funding, but still much cheaper than all of the US offers. I am more interested in working in Europe or the Middle East than in the US for now, so that is a non-issue with LSE's name being as well-known as it is.