How to accept MA while PhD waitlisted?

kelannrob

I'm not sure how to respond to an invitation to the MA program from the institution that also waitlisted me for their PhD. I want to convey my acceptance of the MA position while also saying the I would still prefer a PhD spot if one opens up.

The letter from the DGS had a hand-written note acknowledging that I am still on the PhD waitlist even though I got in at the MA level, so I know they're aware of the situation. Do I even need to say it in my acceptance email?

I was thinking something along the lines of "While I am thrilled to be accepted into the MA program, I still hope a space becomes available for the PhD, as that remains my ultimate academic goal."

Also, would it be appropriate to ask for details about the assistantship (all MA students get one in this program) in the same email? I thought that would be covered during the recruitment weekend, but the schedule doesn't list any time for discussing assistantships or fellowships. Seems to focus only on meet and greets, class observations, and getting to know your way around the campus.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and good luck to all still waiting to hear about results!

I would set up a phone call or Skype interview so that you can ask, in real time, what the MA acceptance really means. Does this mean that you can potentially be fast-tracked into the PhD program? Does this mean that you're guaranteed eventual entry into the PhD program, or will you have to reapply? Etc...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use