Admitted Student Visits (arranging a separate day to visit)

kendlaal

If someone has already posted about this, feel free to take this down or redirect it! I have a slight dilemma, I'm sure a few others have the same issue as well. At least two of my Admitted Student Day's are on the same day, and in different states. I've already RSVPed to one, should I mention that when arranging a visit with my other school or not? I'm torn. I want to let them know that I am evaluating another institution, but I'm not sure that is the best plan. Any help would be great! Thank you!

I arranged a separate visit at one of my prospective schools in order to make the visit fit with my existing plans to be in the area. I would just say that you're unable to visit on that particular day. I was still able to meet with two professors and lunch with current students

Alright, great! Thank you for the info. I'm really nervous about going, I guess that's because it's such an important decision...and because meeting one-on-one is more intense than meeting faculty and students in a group!

I did the same as contiguous. I told my POI what the situation was and he put me in touch with the department administrator. They arranged for me to meet with all the faculty and have lunch with grad students. They know that this is a hectic time and seem very willing to accommodate prospective students. And they know that you need to do your due diligence in choosing schools.

Don't be shy about emailing them!

If you feel uncomfortable, you don't have to say why you can't visit...it could be an exam or something for all they know. But it's generally okay to tell them what other schools you are visiting too.... it's one of the most common questions you will get asked when you are there (by other visiting students, current students, and profs!). Telling them this information can't hurt you at all (they already accepted you) unless you do it in a way that comes off as bragging. Most people are just genuinely curious, some might want to gauge whether they think you will attend (but this doesn't hurt you), and it could actually help you since they know they will have to work hard to keep you from going to a competitor.