Updating the survey results / Ph.D. in English

Guest Hmmm

I've begun to check the results each day, and I noticed that there aren't any for the 17th of February yet, or for today either. I posted a rejection from Cornell (Ph.D. in English) in the afternoon of the 17th, and it still hasn't shown up.

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I don't know if the survey results have to be logged in by the person in charge of this great website (if so, thanks!), or if it happens automatically... in which case something might be wrong?

Also, if anyone is waiting to hear results of Ph.D. in English applications, I'd be glad to start a chat here. I noticed an English Ph.D. person heard from Penn State by phone back in late January--and I'd love to talk to you, especially, if you read this. That's where I'd like most to go. Are you planning to accept the offer? I've applied to UPenn, Cornell, SUNY Binghamton, and WUSTL, and have only heard from Cornell (a hearty no) so far.

Thanks for posting!

On Feb 7th I was rejected from Stanford's Modern Thought and Literature program. I am still waiting to hear from Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Pennsylvania. Anyone hear from WashU or Penn yet?

I'm also waiting to hear from Penn. Last week I got an email from the UPenn English department requesting a copy of my missing personal statement (I swear I sent my personal statement!) so I'm assuming they were still evaluating apps at that point.

Apparently numbers aren't everything ... I'm graduating this year with a 3.73 at a very good undergrad university, I got a 4.0 for my junior year at Oxford, and a 790 V on the GRE.

I applied to 13 American places, I've gotten 5 rejections, and I'm almost positive the other 8 are going to be rejections too. All I can think is my personal statement and sample essay must have been spectacularly bad - but I didn't think so at the time. :?

I sympathize with you, Guest X. I've heard similar horror stories from some of the brightest people I know: people with great world experience, extreme critical intelligence, top scores and GPAs, and fantastic recommendations. More than one of these people got in nowhere during the first year they applied to PhD programs. The professors I know have no explanation for this besides, "It's ridiculous," and "It's a complete crapshoot, who gets in." So don't let the rejections affect your concept of yourself. Remember that there are a bunch of imperfect, frazzled people sitting around reading stacks and stacks of applications in a short time-frame. Many of these people are probably passive aggressive towards and/or threatened by the extremely talented applicants who seem to have minds of their own. Better to choose those who seem rather bright, and very interested in following the status quo, the trendy current research topics, than to take a risk with a great talent.

There are too many other factors to name here without writing a dissertation-sized post. But this should begin to inform you that your greatness as a candidate often has little or nothing to do with whether you get accepted to a program.

Guest Guest X

Thanks for reminding me of that ... that was really spectacularly kind-hearted of you, and you're right, it is important to keep in mind how arbitrary the process can be. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. You rock. :)

WashU is my first choice, too. Followed by Syracuse and Upenn. I applied to 9 places and I've heard nothing yet...sigh. I just keep checking the mail, having a heart attack every time the phone rings, and refreshing the survey pages to see if anyone else has heard...

Good luck everyone :(

I went the lazy way out since I'm not sure I want to do grad school at all - only three schools. Got my rejection from UCLA already. I both love and hate this site because I can see the rejections starting from my schools and I know mine has to be coming soon! Argh!

Chicago and Columbia, btw. Those have just recently started showing up, apparently, so I'll be keeping an eye on my mailbox...

Guest Paddy_Conscience

Anyone else waiting on responses from U. of Del, UPenn, WUSTL, or Boston College? I can't sleep, can't eat, can't work...this is madness!!!!!!

Paddy_Conscience said:
Anyone else waiting on responses from U. of Del, UPenn, WUSTL, or Boston College? I can't sleep, can't eat, can't work...this is madness!!!!!!

Hey Paddy,

Someone over on who_got_in was admitted to Delaware's PhD program today (via email). Did you hear anything yourself? I didn't. Sadness. Just thought I'd let you know in case you hadn't seen this info.

Has anyone heard anything from English Ph.D. at Indiana Bloomington? I saw on the results page that a couple people heard as far back as the end of February, but I'm still waiting...