Pittsburgh

aanmona

Hi,

I got admission at University of Pittsburgh and received four years funding.

I want to know about the strength of the program, its reputation, job opportunity after completing degree and faculty members of Anthropology department. Are they easygoing and willing to help students? Whats about students? Are they friendly? Now, I am studying at Loyola University Chicago. I came from Bangladesh, without any family member. Some times I feel so lonely. I really want to go to a place, where people are friendly. So, please let me know about the atmosphere of the university.

Moreover, let me know about the living cost at Pitt. I want to stay alone in a studio/ one bed room apartment. I am used to live a very normal life. Do not have any car. So, let me know what would be my monthly cost including housing, food, transport, internet etc. I got GTF which will provide me monthly $16,600 per year. Do you think that it is enough? As an International student am I required to bare any other extra cost?

Please feel free to share your any experiences.

Thanks,

Aanmona

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aanmona,

Congratulations on your Pitt acceptance. I, too, have been accepted to begin doctoral studies in sociocultural anthropology this fall and have accepted the offer. I'm so excited. I am actually attending a conference in the area this weekend and so will be leaving to visit Pittsburgh and start getting to know the area/looking at neighborhoods and apartments tomorrow! So, I'll have more to say about it in a few days, but from what I have heard about Pittsburgh, it seems that you should be able to live quite comfortably in a nice area on that stipend. As far as whether or not Pittsburgh is a good school for sociocultural anthropology, I think it still depends on what you intend to focus on in terms of area and topic. They have a great southeast Asian/Pacific focus, for example, but they may not be the best place for studying other geographic areas. Hope to hear more from you soon!

Hi Palmyra,

Thank you so much for your email. I am so glad that you are accepted to Pittsburgh. I am glad to know that you are in that place and spend some useful times there. I hope that you will be able to find out positive and negative (if there is any) side of Pittsburgh.

They also asked me to visit there. However, my Doc told me not to move anywhere as I have severe back-pain now. So, I can't be able to visit there though I wish I could.

Please contact with me after your visit. I am going to accept their offer. So, I would be very happy if I get useful information from you. My research area is in Bangladesh, South Asia. Where is yours? I am giving you my email address. If you wish you can email me at my gmail.

email: aanmona@gmail.com

Enjoy Pitts, enjoy your time. :)

Take care,

Aanmona

Aaanmona, tomar post ta dekhe kharap laglo tai reply korchhi. onno deshe onek shomaye eka eka lage, tar jonno dukhho koro na, nischoi onno shohore gele notun bondhu bandhob hobe ar ekakitto thakbe na, mon chhoto koro na. Pittsuburgh university'r jonno congratulations :) Subhechha roilo.

Hi Aanmona,

My area is the Philippine Islands. Glad to hear you are planning to accept! I will email you very soon (hopefully by this weekend) about my first impressions of Pittsburgh. Looking forward to hearing more and MEETING you soon!

• 1 year later...

I am curious what the situation is for 2013, because I have yet to hear anything from them at all.

Me neither. Sometimes I really doubt if I really submitted the application. Anybody got updates from the department?

Me neither. Sometimes I really doubt if I really submitted the application. Anybody got updates from the department?

I still haven't heard anything.  Frankly, even if I were given an offer it would have to be great to consider it over what else I have going on, but tomorrow is April 15th and I know nobody who has heard from them about rejections or acceptances.

I still haven't heard anything.  Frankly, even if I were given an offer it would have to be great to consider it over what else I have going on, but tomorrow is April 15th and I know nobody who has heard from them about rejections or acceptances.

They do plan to accept Ph.D candidates in fall, 2013...right???