PhD us/Canada after M.Tech. from state university

lastdefenda

Hello, I am shameek . I completed my B.Tech(IT)(71.5%) from WBUT and in the first year of M.Tech(CS)(also from WBUT). I got Low HS(10+2) marks like 48.5% will it effect my chances.

1)Can you tell me my prospects of doing PhD(CS) from US or Canada? I generally asking about the recognition of my M.Tech.(CSE)

Which takes 2 years and has a thesis part for the last year (2 semesters)

2)Is it very tough to get PhD admission in good university?

3)an you tell me what Should be my plan( i.e. taking GRE,TOEFL,Publishing papers)?

Thank You.

Note: WBUT: West Bengal University of Technology

1) From your stats and your school, it sounds like your prospects will be pretty low. Is your thesis a strong writing sample? Do you plan to get it or parts of it published?

2) Yes.

3) High GRE scores and published papers can make up for your school and grades. Taking classes and earning higher grades will also help.

Edited by Noegenesis

I'd recommend getting a Masters from a good US/Canadian university first. I know someone from WBUT who got into CMU but he did a Masters at University of British Columbia first. Your HS marks will not matter. Your B.Tech marks seem a bit low - ideally you want to have a very high rank at the very least. Also published papers - while they help, they don't count for a whole lot unless they're really good and have been published at top conferences.

Basically, I really think the ideal path for you is Masters at good US/Canadian University first.

1) From your stats and your school, it sounds like your prospects will be pretty low. Is your thesis a strong writing sample? Do you plan to get it or parts of it published?

2) Yes.

3) High GRE scores and published papers can make up for your school and grades. Taking classes and earning higher grades will also help.

first of all thank you for your reply. I do have one published paper in national journal which is computer society of India and I'm doing my thesis from ISIcal on Machine learning or Pattern recognition(my guide hasn't decided yet) , since isi is a institute of national importance I hoping to publish at least one paper from there.

@jjsakurai

My B.tech score isn,t low I got a 7.7(CGPA) , which bring to my next question can you tell me if I apply which GPA will matter B.Tech. or M.Tech which I'm scoring a 9.3 till date. thank you .

ps: please excuse any mistakes because I'm kind of half asleep now.

Edited by lastdefenda

@jjsakurai

UBC is too good you expect more from me than I do :). But my B.tech score isn,t low I got a 7.7(CGPA) , which bring to my next question can you tell me if I apply which GPA will matter B.Tech. or M.Tech which I'm scoring a 9.3 till date. thank you .

ps: please excuse any mistakes because I'm kind of half asleep now.

The M.Tech GPA should help things quite a bit. However getting admission into a good US/Canadian PhD program is going to be extremely hard if not impossible IMO given your background unless you've published quite a few papers in top international conferences in your field.

The Masters programs are generally MUCH easier to get into (though you have to pay) which is why I recommended going that route. Also, I meant getting admission into the Masters at UBC, not the PhD program.

Things might be different at say the universities not in the top 50-60 but I really don't have an idea regarding that.

PS - I'm not sure how well known ISIcal is internationally. If it (and the professor you'r working under) is reasonably well-known then things might be very different.

Edited by jjsakurai