When is it appropriate to follow up on your app?

mirandaw

I applied to Simon Fraser University's MPP program (before the Feb 1st deadline) and there isn't a hard and fast date that they send out notifications. According to the results search, people started hearing back mid February, and the trend for past years looks like they send out acceptances well before they send out rejections and wait listings. That could just be coincidence, though, since there are so few results for this program.

I'm obsessing pretty hard and I don't want to be a nuisance, but I really would like to know when to expect to hear back. Should I call or email to inquire about my status, or leave it alone?

(ugh, please tell me there are other people in the same boat!)

Yes, other people are in the same boat. As soon as now is an appropriate time. I suggest calling the department and very politely saying, "I was calling to check on the status of my application. Have any decisions been made yet? I don't mean to be a nuisance, but I am waiting to hear back from other schools. Your school is still on the top of my list, and information you may give me would be helpful."

Obviously, modify the script to suit your situation and your personality, but short, sweet and to-the-point is always appropriate.

• 4 weeks later...

I called the school the same day I posted this originally and was told by the department coordinator that I should hear "in the next couple of weeks." She said the first round of application review had been done and that the adcomm was meeting shortly, but that was it aside from a vague timeline. I'm thinking I'm either waitlisted or rejected (but of course, this is a Canadian program, so it's all up in the air since there is no real hard-and-fast deadline as in the States) but I really wish I knew either way.

I'm back around to wanting to follow up again. If I don't get in to this program, I think Im going to apply for UG again and get a degree in a different field (while this is definitely not my first choice, it's probably the best option at this point), and deadline for UG is coming up soon. How should I phrase an email to them requesting my status? Im not trying to decide on another program, and this is the only one Ive applied to so its certainly my priority, but how do I convey that I'm trying to make plans for fall without sounding flippant or desperate?