Breakdown of this weeks results

LadyL

So, being the data driven person I am, I have some numbers for this week to present to you :).

Since 2/6:

34 Rejections

5 Acceptances

21 Interviews

5 Wait lists

These results were generated by searching the results page for "psychology" and recording the first 3 pages worth of results.

So, what I infer from this is that most programs have made or are actively making their initial round of cuts. I haven't gotten any rejections yet, so phew! The next step seems to be interview invites. I'm really hoping this process will continue through next week and even the week after,because I haven't had any formal interview invites. It seems like acceptances have been extended to the first tier applicants at some places. I don't flatter myself to think I'd be one of them since I applied to very competitive schools. Wait list notifications seem really early to me - don't those usually go out last? But maybe programs who have a very limited number of slots to offer are trying to see who will accept and who will decline earlier on, and therefore have a wait list already as backup.

Now obviously every program is different but it helps me to have a general sense of the process, and to know that there may still be hope. What are everyone else's thoughts right now?

Not everyone does interviews. All I know is about my own programs, but there are two that historically have not done interviews. I am expecting to hear yes/no from them in early March.

Also, I don't think the large number of rejections says anything about where schools are in the process...unfortunately, in such a competitive field I think it just reflects the very high base rate of rejections. :(