Is TA a dealbreaker?

Scalia

I have offers from two schools:

One offers 6 month RA and 6 month TA

One offers year round TA but is a little better school/ a little better fit. Also, would be same classes so wouldn't have to continually do new prep etc.

How big of deal if the 6 month RA slot?

Sounds like you have already made a decision.

I personally think that I would like the RA/TA mix because I would have the opportunity to do both positions. I am person who enjoys variety.

But if the the one that offers the year round TA is a better fit, then why not talk to them about some research opportunities you could do in combination with teaching? Can't hurt. :) That is, if that is what you are looking for.

Well, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but my situation may different from yours. I want to teach in my future career, so a TA opportunity would be a welcome one for me. I think if the school has a better fit, and you consider it to be a better school in general, you should go there and try to get an RA position in the future. I'm not really sure how that works in programs like yours, but surely you will have research opportunities at that school. Good luck either way! :)

I agree that it depends on what you want to do down the line. If you know you want a faculty position and to teach, and you have no teaching experience, then you might want to opt for the program that will give you more of that. If you want to practice as a psychologist and think that the RA might give you an opportunity to develop a specialty in an area of particular interest to you, then it might be the better choice.

The end goal is the key - figure out where you want to end up and then start plotting a course to get there.

Is this for the full program? Everyone in my department starts out as a TA, but then they get into RAs their second or third year.

At the first program, the TA/RA mix is a gauranteed for 4 years with chance of becoming full RA later.

At second program, the TA is gauranteed for 4 years and not knowing if a later RA is possible.