Should I go with the R1?

Jbernc

I have been accepted and received offers from both of my top choices. I wasn't expecting an offer from both and now I don't know what to do! Both departments and potential advisors are equally great and even the monetary offers are fairly close. The only advantage is one is an R1 university. I have been leaning towards the smaller university but how do you say no to an R1 university? Any thoughts on whether I should choose the R1 because it is an R1 and leave it at that or does it really matter in the long run?

My guess is it probably does matter -- but it is hard to know which would be better in the long run without knowing what the schools are. Why have you been leaning towards the smaller university? Is its reputation really that different? If you feel that the smaller school is a better fit, maybe it is. Maybe you will be more productive and have better opportunities there because you are happier there. It's really a decision only you can make, but it's a nice position to be in. Congratulations!

• 4 weeks later...

Why are you still using the R1 term? That term is no longer used and has been replaced with a different criteria to reflect the strengths of strong smaller schools that couldn't be categorized originally as R1. Plus, you should be focusing on the university with the stronger program, not on the one that is generically categorized under the former R1 term. A "non-R1" university with a strong department in your field will always triumph an "R1" one with a weaker one.

EDIT: OMG, I just found out that the term "R1" has been outdated for over a decade, and for good reason. Why do people still cling on to that archaic term, as it's such an inaccurate designation.

Edited by Pauli

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use