Stanford IPS vs. SIPA MPA-Development vs. reapply?

sietval

Any thoughts on the two programs? I have been accepted to Stanford for the Democracy, Development, and Rule of Law track within the IPS program, and SIPA for Development Practice.

I was applying straight out of undergrad, and am also contemplating working for a year or two and reapplying to other schools..

Any thoughts on the two programs? I have been accepted to Stanford for the Democracy, Development, and Rule of Law track within the IPS program, and SIPA for Development Practice.

I was applying straight out of undergrad, and am also contemplating working for a year or two and reapplying to other schools..

That being said, you got into two highly-regarded programs, so I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that you should reapply. If it's money that you're worried about, Stanford allows for your tuition to be completely waived if you get an assistantship (which most apparently do) one or more quarters. SIPA also has a number of assistantships for second-years that get above a 3.4 their first semester (as the assignments are made during your second), but those that pay full tuition are limited and highly competitive to get (smaller awards, though seem to be more easy to come by).

As for the academic differences, I'm sure you've noticed that SIPA's MPA-DP is definitely more development practitioner-oriented (as suggested by the name of the degree). Stanford's concentrations are appealing because they essentially allow you to take any relevant class throughout the university, and they're apparently very lenient (within reason) about counting things not listed under your concentration.

I reapplied after having only gotten into SIPA last time and was more successful than I ever thought I would be. So, it can definitely pay off if you can line up experiences relevant to your intended course of study (I would guess development work, in your case). Given your choices, though, I would have a long thought about whether it's worth putting it off for several years.