Getting research experience

gabriel13

I applied to the DEVO program at UCSB and considered myself a pretty strong candidate, but I'm thinking my lack of lab research might be what kept me from getting in. I recently got my M.A. with a 4.0, but research was limited to lit reviews/critiques. I did have lab experience, but that was over a decade ago. I'm probably going to reach out to the department and ask what I could do to make my application stronger in the future, but I'm thinkning the research experience is probably what really got me. So my question is this, as an adult with a full time job that I can't afford to just up and leave, how can I get the research experience needed? I'm toying with the idea of just applying to some undergrad biology classes with labs, but I'm not really sure that will make the difference. I'm also thinking about looking for part time research assistant positions, but again I'm just not sure.

Based on my experience, classes with labs are not viewed as research experience, but it can be very hard to get research experience, especially with as little free time as you seem to have.

Edited by emmm