English PhD -- CUNY / topping-off awards?

thomazzo

Having a bit of a dilemma here.

When I started this application process, CUNY was my clear program of first choice. I was thrilled to get the acceptance but disappointed by the seemingly huge workload and relatively TINY stipend. I've spoken with students in the program and many of them seem to have found non-academic jobs (like working for Kaplan / Princeton Review / ETS--joy!) to supplement the stipend. I know the stipend is more than many programs offer, but 18k in NYC--seriously? That barely covers rent in the graduate housing CUNY recommends to students!

I have bigger and better offers from a several programs, including one Ivy and one particularly generous "southern Ivy." All of my professors / friends think I should head south; that program is amazing and the offer truly is spectacular. Before I make a decision, however, I want to be certain that CUNY does not offer any topping-off awards, as some of the other programs to which I applied do / have. One of my professors even recommended that I treat this like a job offer and just say to CUNY, "this is what's on the table--can you match it?"

My question to current / former applicants / students: does CUNY give topping-off awards? Is the 18k stipend the best possible package one might get? And, should I contact them with this professor's advice? Instinct tells me that this would not work and might even backfire in ways I can't yet foresee. I would love to go to CUNY but I don't see how it's affordable or even feasible!

Asking them to "match" another offer might come off as a bit rude, but explaining to SUNY that you would really like to attend but have concerns about funding is pretty reasonable. You could ask them if it is possible to increase your stipend and mention the offers you received from other schools and emphasize how much you like their program.

• 4 months later...

To close my own post: in fact, I did eventually receive a $5k renewable topping off award from CUNY. So yes, it is possible. I still ended up turning them down, so I hope that award was passed along to someone. Advice for PhD applicants: if you receive multiple offers, you can and should inform the programs to which you were accepted of these offers. It seems that every school has some trick up its sleeve to attract the applicants they want the most. Very happy with my choice--good luck to all!