calarts or SVA?

creamypencil

In terms of photography rankings, calarts is higher. What are the advantages and disadvantages of studying in these schools???

Sounds that calarts will give financial aid to students. So I am inclined to pick this school. What do you think??

CalArts is #4. SVA is #6. Not really a wide gap there in terms of ranking.

Does CalArts offer good financial aid? For whatever reason, I thought both schools offered little aid.

Do you want gallery representation in NYC or LA (Valencia is not that far away)? Which program do you like more? Can you compare your expected student loan debt at both programs? Is there a big enough difference for that to be a deciding factor?

What is the deal with CalArts financial aid? How much to they typically give out? Are they known to offer tuition waivers?

I did call calarts. They said the financial aid depends on students' need, ranging from 1000 - 10,000.

The thing about CalArts is that Valencia is about 30 miles from anywhere you want to be. which is fine if you have a car, but if you don't, you're not really going to ever leave Valencia. But rent in Valencia is pretty cheap. Figure $500/mo if you have roommates. Something to keep in mind...

CalArts is #4. SVA is #6. Not really a wide gap there in terms of ranking.

Does CalArts offer good financial aid? For whatever reason, I thought both schools offered little aid.

Do you want gallery representation in NYC or LA (Valencia is not that far away)? Which program do you like more? Can you compare your expected student loan debt at both programs? Is there a big enough difference for that to be a deciding factor?

I haven't been to calarts before so I don't know if it has nearby galleries. calarts program is a 2-year program and SVA is a 3-year program. 3 years is a bit too long for me!!

Money is a big concern. SVA seems more costly then calarts =(

I did call calarts. They said the financial aid depends on students' need, ranging from 1000 - 10,000.

So what you're saying is that considering both need-based and merit-based financial aid the most I could get would be $10,000? Or in other words I would still have to shell out $28k a year?