NDSEG 2012 - Fundopolotoplotopus

andrealphus

[quote name=hello! :)' timestamp='1333042079' post='1057834737]

On a more operations level, it seems kind of backwards to allow all applicants to log into the award page and then block access to non-awardees once announcements have been made. I wonder what was their reasoning for doing it this way.

Wait... wtf?! We can't use two government-funded fellowships? What about the 2 years we aren't funded? This is a ridiculous new rule. Will you guys accept the NDSEG over the NSF? Which is more prestigious?

In regards to the speculation on when they will announce: They posted on FB a couple of days ago that they would notify people via email BY April 15th (lets hope right?). They also said you would be notified whether you get one or not. So, 1)Here's to hoping they stick to their word and let EVERYONE know something on time and 2) we should all hear something next week sometime. EEK!

Wait... wtf?! We can't use two government-funded fellowships? What about the 2 years we aren't funded? This is a ridiculous new rule. Will you guys accept the NDSEG over the NSF? Which is more prestigious?

Yeah I saw the 2011 rule but I can't find the same wording on the 2012 info for NSF. Does anyone know if it was just a 2011 rule and now it's 'overlooked'?

There is some info on the NSF thread for which is better- in general, NDSEG is more money and has less success rate (so more prestigious) but more people have heard of the NSF one so it's a toss up for me...

Edited by acg

I would talk to your potential advisor about this. A) I personally don't think it's that ridiculous, and I see little reason to panic. B) I get the impression that an NSF is more prestigious. I don't think it's leaps and bounds above the NDSEG, but I think it's a bit better. C) I know you can definitely defer the start of your funding for NSF (at least that's been allowed in the past) so that if your program requires you to TA for a year then you can be funded by the TAship before being funded by your external fellowship. Then honestly if you have 1-2 years remaining, hopefully your boss will have some $ to give you (a by this time senior grad student who has NEVER been a financial burden) an RA.

Takeaway: if you win at least one of these two, you should be in good shape.

From the NSF FAQ:

I received a GRFP Fellowship Offer and currently have a Federal Fellowship (DOE, EPA, etc.); may I accept the GRFP Fellowship?

No. Starting with the 2011 Fellows forward, GRFP Fellowships cannot be concurrently accepted or combined with another US Government Federal Fellowship, irrespective of the Fellow's Status.

Can someone find this on the 2012 webpage? I have been searching all of the docs on fastlane for this year and can't find this same thing. I know that last year they made some changes then actually changed them back and I'm wondering if this is one of those?

NDSEG site : FAQ -> Other FAQ

If I am awarded, can I defer?

The NDSEG Fellowship can be deferred only under exceptional circumstances and with approval of the DoD; if you are accepted, you must start in the fall of that year. You will not be able to defer the NDSEG Fellowship if you were awarded another fellowship you wish to use instead.

Situations in which the tenure may be extended with prior approval of the DoD are:

• The fellow is invited to do research at a DoD laboratory or test center for one or more summer periods.
  • The fellow's graduate institution does not offer an appropriate program during the summer months.
  • The fellow is granted a deferral due to another extenuating circumstance.

the key (from last years thread) is to ask if they have received the list from the DoD yet- the awards go out same day or next day from what I can tell. Until they get the list, they'll say April 15. Once they get the list they'll tell you they have it. *fingers crossed!*

I saw on this thread that some of you have done research with a branch of the military - has anyone done biosci research with them? I do tropical disease research in collaboration with a Naval Medical Research Unit in South America and I'm curious how that fits into the bigger picture of applicants' experience & if you all think it is an advantage.

Edited by sandyo

I saw on this thread that some of you have done research with a branch of the military - has anyone done biosci research with them? I do tropical disease research in collaboration with a Naval Medical Research Unit in South America and I'm curious how that fits into the bigger picture of applicants' experience & if you all think it is an advantage.

I hope that my participation in NREIP (also run by ASEE) will help my chances, but at the end of the day I don't think that will weigh too heavily in the minds of the reviewers. The chief scientist in the building I worked for told me that he occasionally reviews applications for NDSEG but even so, I doubt it's that big of a deal. People who have received the award in previous years have said that it's more about selling yourself as a talented, capable, and independently thinking scientist rather than checking the most boxes on some imaginary checklist.

But isn't that sales pitch is at the heart of every application?? Seems like a given.

There's probably also a significant role for randomness here - like the research agenda of your reviewers and which applications they looked at diretly before yours. (Sigh)

Does anyone know how many reviewers there for each application? And if we get feedback, like with the NSF? So even if we don't get it this year, we can improve our chances in the future?

Edited by sandyo

of course it's a given! my point was that some people try too hard to write what they think some DoD folks want to see and lose sight of that.

i think your point about the reader's personal research interests are more likely to sway them than seeing military associations on your app.

Yep you're so right synorg! We write about the work we do, and maybe it seems 'in line' with research priorities to the reviewers and maybe it doesn't.

I applied two years ago and didn't get it. No feedback, just an email with the title "NDSEG Application Notification" from "NDSEG Program Team at ASEE"

April 12, 2010

Dear 2010 NDSEG Applicant,

We regret to inform you that we cannot fund you for an NDSEG

Fellowship. The selection process was very thorough; your

application was reviewed by many experts in your discipline.

NDSEG is very competitive and there were many more qualified

applicants than could be funded; of the over 2,600 submitted

applications, only 200 will be funded. It is possible that you

will be eligible to apply again next year for the NDSEG

Fellowship. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide any

feedback on your application, but please feel free to contact

us if you have any other questions. We encourage you to continue

with your educational goals and wish you success in your future

endeavors.

Sincerely,

The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

This was posted via Facebook about 30 minutes ago: "The NDSEG Program Office still expects award notifications to be issued via e-mail by April 15. All applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding the status of their application once that information becomes available. Please feel free to follow up with ndseg@asee.org should you have any additional questions. Thank you."

Obviously they are getting tired of us checking in constantly. The waiting game continues........

Edited by KatKad

I agree they should email it. Im glad I added them on my FB and now check daily to see if they have posted any updates. Still, since I'm ocd about checking my email this week, would be much better just to get those updates in my inbox. I'll continue to repost the updates they put on FB if anyone wants me to.

Edited by KatKad

Ok ... yeah, just saw the beginning of this thread on the same topic as well. Darn, I really want to know one way or the other so I can plan my life for next year. I only got an NSF honorable mention though, and since NDSEG is even more selective I doubt I'll get the fellowship.