Class Size, Photography MFA

123_Nap_Time

I'm gathering a list of grad schools to potentially apply to, was wondering if anyone could comment on the average class size (of MFA candidates with Photography Concentration) at the following schools:

Yale

RISD

Columbia College

School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Cal Arts

Columbia College

Arizona State University

Maryland Institute, College of Art

Columbia University

Virginia Commonwealth University

Bard/ ICP

University of Arizona

Massachusetts College of ARt

Carnegie Mellon

University of Chicago

UGA

University of Texas, Austin

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

The New School

School of Visual Arts

Tulane

NYU

UCLA

Art Institute of Boston

I know this is a very very long list, I'm trying to compile a somewhat comprehensive list of programs and relevant information (like length of program, class size, number/ common availability of TA positions, etc.) so that I can share it with friends, maybe even students someday...

You are missing a lot of programs that typically provide lots of funding for those who don't want heavy debt when done. You may want a separate section for bargin schools.

Fully funded or low cost programs (depending upon getting a TA or scholarship) include:

Ohio State University - 3 yr - photo class size = 6

Ohio University at Athens

Southern Illinois University - Carbondale

Rutgers

Cornell

Stanford

WashU

University of Notre Dame - 3 yr

Florida State University

UNC Chapel Hill

University of Michigan

UC Berkley

USC

UNLV

From your list, programs with low cost potential that I know about include:

UCLA

Tulane

University of Arizona

Arizona State

VCU

As far as bargain schools go UGA also offers substantial funding, but I'm really more interested in looking at class size right now.

Like I've heard that SAIC classes are huge... can anyone verify?

As far as bargain schools go UGA also offers substantial funding, but I'm really more interested in looking at class size right now.

Like I've heard that SAIC classes are huge... can anyone verify?

SAIC photo has 10 grad students a year. Since its a two year program there are 20 total MFA students in school at once. Some of the faculty have been talking about taking 7-9 applicants a year to keep the quality really high. Everyone gets a TA that wants one in the photo dept.

By huge you might be talking about MFA students in all departments, since we have probably over a dozen depts, we have over 100 MFA students graduate every year. Class size for most of those departments is around 10.

Edited by michaelwebster

Chapel Hill takes 8-10 students a year in total, so as an interdisciplinary program only a couple of those are usually strictly photographers. Its a two year program, has many TA and teacher of record opportunities, and a Teaching Practicum (to teach MFA students how to teach at the college level). The Urban Livability fellowship is a possibility for really good candidates who are dealing with social issues of the urban environment, which is a ton of money and a huge resume boost, but is highly competitive.

Edited by michaelwebster