Deciding that 3rd recommender

annieca

How did you all decide who to ask for recommendations?

I'm a History major and have a good working relationship with two History professors - one my advisor, one in my field of interest. However, after that I don't have a close relationship with any other professors. An English professor offered to write my LOR but I've only had one class with him. Is that bad/a problem? Is there a way to alleviate the not-knowing-as-much as my advisor and other History professor know?

If your professor offered to write your recommendation he might have something insightful to say that the other two from your actual field may not account for. I don't necessarily think the amount of classes you've taken with the professor are the most important thing but how they evaluate your quality of work, character and ability to perform in the setting for which you are applying. If this person thinks they are qualified to comment on this (and they must since they offered to write it) then I would accept unless I had a better idea.

How did you all decide who to ask for recommendations?

I'm a History major and have a good working relationship with two History professors - one my advisor, one in my field of interest. However, after that I don't have a close relationship with any other professors. An English professor offered to write my LOR but I've only had one class with him. Is that bad/a problem? Is there a way to alleviate the not-knowing-as-much as my advisor and other History professor know?

I would take the English LOR in a heartbeat; who better to speak about your critical thinking skills and capability as a writer? One of my LOR I only worked with them for 6 weeks; week 2 they said "Absolutely I will write a LOR for you". We've obviously kept in touch since then, but there's nothing that says a LOR has to know you intimately or a substantive amount of time - only that this person can speak to a particular ability (or abilities) with unqualified vigor.

Thanks both of you!

I think I got a warped perception of who to ask for LOR from my sister. When she applied for grad school she asked the three professors she knew really well and they knew her really well. But then again, my sister was a poli sci major with a habit of just hanging around near where the professors were.