Utah VS. Colorado Boulder

Jiyoun_Jo

Hello all,

I got accepted to the Phd programs at these two universities, and now I am a little bit lost trying to make my decision on where to go. I am an international student thus all the information I got regarding these two universities is from the Internet. I would appreciate it if someone could provide me some advice. Since I would like to become a professor or a researcher in a company in the future, going to graduate school means a lot to my future career. And my research interest is Computer Architecture.

Thank you! :D

That's a tough one. A lot of Utah's professors are more graphics and visualization focused. Boulder doesn't seem too focused on architecture either, based on looking at their website. That being said, I can speak for Utah, since my boyfriend (who is also architecture focused) and I got the chance to visit.

The current architecture profs there are:

Rajeev Balasubramonian

Erik Brunvand

Al Davis.

From what I hear Dr. Balasubramonian and Dr. Brunvand are still taking students, while Dr. Davis isn't. The impression that I got from my boyfriend is that all three are very friendly people and are quite passionate about their work. It probably won't hurt to contact them and see if their research interests mesh with yours.

I would definitely choose Boulder over Utah. Do you have any specific questions?

Thank you, habanero. Could you please be more specific? I mean, why do you think so? ^^

And what about Rochester vs Colorado? Any advice? Thank you once again!

That's a tough one. A lot of Utah's professors are more graphics and visualization focused. Boulder doesn't seem too focused on architecture either, based on looking at their website. That being said, I can speak for Utah, since my boyfriend (who is also architecture focused) and I got the chance to visit. The current architecture profs there are: Rajeev Balasubramonian Erik Brunvand Al Davis. From what I hear Dr. Balasubramonian and Dr. Brunvand are still taking students, while Dr. Davis isn't. The impression that I got from my boyfriend is that all three are very friendly people and are quite passionate about their work. It probably won't hurt to contact them and see if their research interests mesh with yours.

Thank you so much for your detailed information, thompmon! I agree that Boulder doesn't seem too focused on Architecture from their web pages. They seem more focused on Networking. Also, Boulder seems to be a less research university than Utah. In fact, Prof. Rajeev Balasubramonian is my potential supervisor at Utah. ^^ He is extremely nice indeed.

I've just got an offer from Rochester. Any opinion about that? Thank you!