Location vs. Cost

Wishing

I have suddenly found myself with a sort of unexpected issue. I've accepted an offer of admission from BU and was really all set to go until I got an offer from U Michigan last week. I know a lot of people on this forum have opinions on how to choose programs but I haven't hard any hard and fast opinions on location vs. cost.

So here's the deal:

Boston is the better location because a) it's Boston and I like Boston... our quality of life would be really great there, especially because we don't own a car and can't really afford to buy one and B) my sister lives in Boston and my family is close by. It would be nice to finally be back on the East Coast after living out here in CA for so long and also save on travel costs to visit family and c) if I could choose where to eventually practice it would be in Boston.

HOWEVER, my wife will graduate with her PhD in 2014 (the same year I will graduate) and she is professor-track in a social science discipline. For those of you unfamiliar with the academic job market right now we basically will not have any control over where we end up living after we graduate. There are more colleges in Boston/Massachusetts/New England area than there are in the Ann Arbor area, so statistically speaking it is more likely she could get a job there, but there is no way to know whether anything will be open in her field and/or whether she would be chosen for the position if one did open up. I would never voluntarily live in Ann Arbor so it is very unlikely we would end up living there after graduation.

Summary: We are not interested in living in Ann Arbor in the long term. We'd prefer to live in Boston, but it's equally likely we'd end up living elsewhere regardless of which school I attend, making local ties and networking during field placements possibly less useful than they would be otherwise. I am not sure that simply prefering to live someplace for personal reasons is a good reason to choose a program when the program length is relatively short, although it certainly is tempting.

COST

Technically, BU is cheaper. The tuition is less expensive. The cost of living in Boston is not cheaper, but the difference evens out somewhat if I'd need to buy a car to realistically make it to my field placement site in Michigan (I hear mixed reviews on this.)

HOWEVER (and I forgot to calculate this originally), the Michigan program I was accepted to is 16 months, which means I would only pay for half a year of living expenses the 2nd year. When all is said and done and financial aid packages are added to the mix, Michigan is roughly $15,000 less expensive over the course of the program.

I am also still under review for one of the stipend programs. If I were to receive it (that's a big "if") it would be $40,000, pushing the cost of Michigan WAY below BU. However, it would require me to move during the summer term to complete the field placement, which would be a huge hassle. We have a dog and my wife will be returning to the University she is a student at to teach in the summer, so it could get kind of messy there right in the middle.

THE PROGRAMS

I know everyone here thinks this doesn't matter much, but I prefer Michigan's program overall to BU's. I am specifically interested in community organizing and combining community organizing with issue and policy advocacy, things which Michigan's program focuses on in depth. BU seems to have less comprehensive/in depth course offerings in this area. I can take more electives at Michigan and the electives tend to match my interests more closely. BU doesn't offer very many community organizing courses.

Boston may have better field placements, especially for policy-based work, as it's a capital city in a state that does a lot of progressive social welfare stuff. BU is also one of the only schools in Boston that offers placement for macro-focused students from what I understand. BU also has more placements easily accessible to public transit.

I seriously feel like this is the hardest decision I have ever had to make, and I've made some pretty tough ones. I don't know what to do. What think you, fellow future social workers?

Personally, I'd choose Michigan over Boston, with the biggest weight in my decision being the program. I think overall fit between you and the program will be most important in the long run for getting the best education you can in your area of interest. You could always relocate afterwards if you still want to live and practice in Boston. I just feel that the program's fit should be the most important factor when making your decision. Plus you get to save money over the long-term, which could be put towards getting a car if necessary. I grew up near AA so I know the area fairly well, and while I don't think you will have the same number of opportunities as you would in Boston for field placement, the surrounding area should provide plenty of opportunities to find a good placement.

Well, I definitely won't be getting a car, even with the savings between schools, so that's not really a factor. I do wonder about doing 2 field placements at Boston vs. the one at Michigan. And also about alum networking to get jobs. Ideally we would try to stay in the Boston area after graduation.

Perhaps this is an exercise in me just doing whatever I want regardless of what others think (wouldn't be the first time!) but I am curious what others will say. I reserve the right to make the final choice even if it seems stupid to others. ;)

I am partial to Michigan, of course, but I can see why this is such a difficult decision. I still say Michigan is your best bet because of the program itself. I agree with the other poster that you can relocate to Boston afterwards. Also, that $15,000 makes a big difference!

In terms of cars, I do not have a driver's license so there is no way I can drive to field placements either. Luckily there are a ton of options in the Ann Arbor area, which you can either walk/bike to, or take the (free for students) bus. It also goes to Ypsilanti, and there are field placements there. I also know they are really helpful about organizing carpooling. I wouldn't let the car thing stop you! Just try to live closer to central campus (which is a bit more pricey, but worth it).

Also, Ann Arbor might grow on you. I am from the complete opposite of this place - south Florida, and now it is seriously difficult for me to picture living anywhere that makes me this happy. Although, Boston is among the places I could imagine, because it is indeed also an awesome city!

If you have any ?'s about Ann Arbor itself, more on the bus system, etc. let me know!

Thanks, Roxy!

I did see some stuff about carpooling to field placements that seemed like it might work for me, which is good. However, the field placement sites themselves really overwhelm me because Michigan doesn't seem to have any placement for the type of work I am interested in compared to Boston. Also Boston lets you customize the field placement selection as a Macro student in the 2nd year, which is a huge bonus to me. I love that I could do 2 formal field placements and that I could work in the summer when I wasn't taking classes (or take a break, or do another internship, or sign up for a language class!) because it seems less rushed than the Michigan timeline. Plus the alum network is unbeatable at BU for the Boston area and we're going to do everything we can to stay post-graduation.

The $15,000 only comes into play if I estimate the cost of living really low in Ann Arbor (ie not living close to campus/downtown), and I also have to account for the extra costs of moving to Michigan that I don't have to deal with in Boston because I am close to tons of friends and family. Plus, since I do a joint budget with my wife, we'd have to pay for her dissertation research costs out of pocket if we moved to Michigan, wheras she would be local to her research if we moved to Massachusetts. After adjusting for those things the gap starts to narrow and narrow and when it's only 5k or so then it seems to matter a lot less. I guess what I'm also saying is that is is more complicated than any set of Pros vs. Cons could ever make it seem and that some factors that seem "soft" (even to me!) end up mattering so much to me.

I'll definitely give you a shout if I have any questions about Ann Arbor! I am sure I would love the city itself, but as a gay person Michigan is pretty close to my worst nightmare in terms of where to live. AA does what it can, but there's not much anyone can do about what the legislature and courts system have done.

Boston might be better because the fieldwork is just as important (if not more) than the coursework. Boston is more expensive but it looks like it might even out? Jamaica Plain is an affordable neighborhood and very gay friendly :)

That is kind of what I was thinking re: fieldwork. To me it is probably the MOST important thing, especially since I am looking for pretty non-traditional placement options, even for a Macro student. Boston gives me the exposure to legislative and political/organizing options that AA can't. Plus I could do 2 placements instead of one, which is awesome.

The price does pretty much even out, especially considering I plan to work in Boston (but wouldn't in Michigan because work-study is already part of my package, so that is included) if at all possible.

I love Jamaica Plain! We would probably live in the Brighton area, though, just to be a bit more central to things. I spoke to the dean at BUSSW today and I really liked what he said about the program. It is a lot smaller Than Michigan's program and with class sizes that better fit my preferences.

Wishing, it would appear you've answered your own question regarding Boston vs. Michigan ;) I am reading praises upon praises about Boston, with minor concessions to Michigan (though mostly drawbacks)... The answer seems abundantly clear to me! Boston seems like a great fit for you, academically, professionally, and personally.

Edited by briefinterviews

Just a little insider info about Boston. You're right that Brighton would be closest to BU, but the green line blows (especially the B line which is the one that BC and BU are on. The C, D, and E lines on the green line are fine.) The orange line (JP) and red line (Cambridge/Somerville) are way more efficient. And your field placement could be anywhere...

Wishing, it would appear you've answered your own question regarding Boston vs. Michigan ;) I am reading praises upon praises about Boston, with minor concessions to Michigan (though mostly drawbacks)... The answer seems abundantly clear to me! Boston seems like a great fit for you, academically, professionally, and personally.

My thoughts exactly. Reading your posts, it sounds like you have essentially made up your mind :)

Just a little insider info about Boston. You're right that Brighton would be closest to BU, but the green line blows (especially the B line which is the one that BC and BU are on. The C, D, and E lines on the green line are fine.) The orange line (JP) and red line (Cambridge/Somerville) are way more efficient. And your field placement could be anywhere...

I am actually from Boston - no worries! I don't mind the green line one bit. :)

Hey Wishing - I think B.U seems to be the right choice for you indeed! It sounds like that's where your heart is. I had so much trouble choosing between U Chicago and UMich, but something intuitive told me to go with U Mich. Maybe it's silly, but sometimeeees our gut feelings are right :D (Well, I guess we won't know for sure about this one until another year or so, haha). But yeah - B.U is such an amazing school, that on top of the better field placements and living situation for you makes it perfect!!!

BEST OF LUCK!!! :D