Advice Uk fully funded Vs. US program?

Spaceman

Hi,

Al least and after a long waiting period I got into two PhD Film Studies programs. I have a very good offer from an Uk uni that offers me a college studentship which includes fees + 14.000Pounds stipend for 3 years - The POI was very interested and he works in the area I'm interested in... However, It's not a very well known Uni. On the other hand, I got into a more recognized program, which I also like as I personally know most of the people there (I did my undergrad there). The POI is a god fit , however, they just cover fees + a TAship of 4000$.

I guess I should chose the 1st option, but, I'm worried about future job market perspectives.... Any help?

Cheers!

N.

Edited by Spaceman

I vote for the first option. Research fit is important and in addition (from what I've been told by prof's) it looks a lot better academically if you go to different universities throughout your academic career. It shows that's you're getting different view points, can work and succeed in different environments, etc. Plus going to the UK will help you build a lot of new connections and allow you to network in ways that staying at your home university will not. Plus. the travel :)

Hi Nicolemc,

Yes, I guess the Uk one is a better option right now, but one always doubts if maybe trying again next year would be better and I could have the chance to get into a Tier1 school. For me the problem is how are they going to look at my CV once I finish if I have a PhD from a non recognized Uni... Complicated decisions. Thanks for the help!

N.

A non recognized uni? Do you mean a uni that isn't a name-brand uni like harvard or duke or cambridge?

Does either uni give you the opportunity for ta or ra experience? Do they support graduate publishing in peer-reviewed journals?