What's considered a good GPA and sufficient work experience?

blueled

Alright, I've lurked on a few boards and have read comments like "So and so school only accepts 30 people. I have a 3.99 but there's no way I can get in!!!!!!" To be honest, I'm pretty sure what that person meant was, "There are 30 spots for the program, so 30 people will matriculate, but 100 people are accepted." Otherwise it doesn't make any sense cause no school ever has 100% matriculation. Anyways, the GPA comments adds to some hysteria so I was curious about it and wanted to ask since schools generally don't post admission profiles.

Anyways, what is considered a good GPA and how many years of work experience is considered adequate?

i.e. 3.1 GPA and no work experience = bad

3.5 GPA and 1 year work experience = okay/good

3.9 GPA and 5 years work experience = great/awesome

I know it depends on the program, but if we have to be specific, let's say for the UCs and CSUs in California...

Edited by blueled

I would expect there to also be a difference between your overall GPA vs. the GPA of your major and/or last 60 units. Believe it or not, my overall GPA was 3.10 (my first two years of college was all about having a social life and trying to believe that a major in Biological Science was for me...) but my last 2 years made up for it. My GPA for my last 60 units was 3.70 under the Human Development and Psychology majors. I think admissions take into consideration the dedication and effort you put into your upper division courses, specifically your major courses. In regards to work experience, I worked full-time as a retail store manager throughout my undergrad. I have over 3 years of intern/volunteer experience, most of which were in the healthcare settings.

As much as I thought that my overall GPA was not competitive, I still got accepted to USC's program (one of the top programs in the nation). However, I had 3 letters of recommendation (2 academic professors and 1 internship supervisor) and I earned many honors/awards for my involvement and service to the community during my undergrad.

Overall, admission based on GPA and experience differs case by case. What I recommend to my friends who have doubts about their GPA is to make up for it in experience, service, leadership, and passion!

This was one of the biggest surprises for me when applying. I had no idea for that SF State was more competitive than elite schools for example.

No offense to anyone going to USC but, I can't fathom paying 85,000 or so just in tuition and fees for a 2 yr program. I've heard they have good program components especially for working with war vets but, the cost seems prohibitively high. PLease people think hard about the money you'll need to borrow. I used to work advising students and I can't tell you how many sob stories I have heard about loan payments ruining peoples lives. Paying the equivalent of two rent payments every month is horrendous. (one for actual rent and one for the big loan.) if you are super stressed out with the money you owe, likely you won't do the best job at work either. If you or your parents do have the financing then, go for it. If you are going to lean on really really large loans, make an honest estimate now of what you can earn after and how much your monthly payment will be. Figure out now if your plan is feasible. If it isn't, don't go to the expensive school even if that means having to apply to cheaper schools the next time around.

Edited by allyba

Maybe I shoukd have posted this in another thread but I had to say this. Some of these big schools seem to accept a lot of people and it makes me think that the MSW program could be a money maker for them. I knew a girl that took out large loans to go to Fordham and ended up having to change fields because she couldn't make her loan payments. She works in selling financial products now. Imagine having to make a switch like that to survive especially if your moral compass is pointing you towards one of the helping professions like social work.

my undergrad gpa was only a 2.9.. i have worked in nyc with high school students and young adults with developmental disabilities in a school setting for the past 3 years.. i applied to hunter, fordham and nyu's oyr programs (for those that have 3 or more years being supervised by social workers) and i was accepted to all 3 programs. its not like my work experience pushed my application over the edge- as everybody for the programs i applied for needs the same 3 years that i have.. my undergrad gpa was low- due to lack of caring too much about academics at the time... :) however, i had a very strong personal statement and great rec letters- which im now assuming carry a lot of weight.. so i wouldn't be too concerned with statistics of others- just apply and show your passion for the profession. best of luck to you!

This was one of the biggest surprises for me when applying. I had no idea for that SF State was more competitive than elite schools for example.

No offense to anyone going to USC but, I can't fathom paying 85,000 or so just in tuition and fees for a 2 yr program. I've heard they have good program components especially for working with war vets but, the cost seems prohibitively high. PLease people think hard about the money you'll need to borrow. I used to work advising students and I can't tell you how many sob stories I have heard about loan payments ruining peoples lives. Paying the equivalent of two rent payments every month is horrendous. (one for actual rent and one for the big loan.) if you are super stressed out with the money you owe, likely you won't do the best job at work either. If you or your parents do have the financing then, go for it. If you are going to lean on really really large loans, make an honest estimate now of what you can earn after and how much your monthly payment will be. Figure out now if your plan is feasible. If it isn't, don't go to the expensive school even if that means having to apply to cheaper schools the next time around.

Allyba, I completely agree with you. Since I work at SC, I (thankfully) will be receiving educational benefits. One of the best perks about being an SC employee is that the university will be paying for a great portion of my grad school. It pretty much will be cutting my tuition in half. So I'm in a great program with a huge discount...I can't say no to such an opportunity. But yes, if it wasn't for this, I would have been in major debt post-grad school and most likely would have applied to all CSU programs. Thanks for the advice!

@TrojanManMSW. That´s awesome. Definently, take advantage of the tuition break! Congrats on your acceptance and all too. I guess just wanted to post that to remind people to think about the loans now rather than after they have already started their programs. I don´t know anyone´s situation and some can probably afford the expense. You surely do have a great situation.

Strong recommendations, work experience and personal statements can give you a competitive edge easy. Be aware of schools that specifically state the minimum GPA required on their admissions page- my GPA for my last 60 credits was subpar however I was working 15 hour days and juggling a full time courseload I discussed that in my statement and had strong references and was admitted into 3 out of 5 of the programs I applied to, with assistantships.

Sounds good to me. I have a 3.6 overall GPA, but I think if they're just counting the last 2 years (or last ## credits or whatever) then it might be a hit higher since I got 2 C+s during my freshman year. I can get LoR from a professor, if not 2, and the rest from previous employers.

As for work experience, I have a year of AmeriCorps under my belt helping families with divorces and child custody. I might potentially (hope I'm not jinxing it) have a full time job as a clerk in a non-profit children and families services organization when I graduate. It's a clerk job...but nonetheless it shows my interest in the field I am interested in.