acceptance legality questions

space.cadet

In the nine schools I have applied to, I have been accepted to three schools without funding, and am on one wait list (I still have to hear back from one school). When notifying me that I'm waitlisted, the secretary implied that after the April 15 deadline, they'd take any offers that have been declined by other students and bring them back to the pool.

I want to avoid the situation where I bit the bullet and decide to pay for a master's program at one of my schools I've been accepted to, only to get offered funding after April 15 by my waitlisted school. Would there be any legal with accepting from unfunded school with the intention of dropping out (and forfeiting a deposit) if I get a funded offer elsewhere?

In the nine schools I have applied to, I have been accepted to three schools without funding, and am on one wait list (I still have to hear back from one school). When notifying me that I'm waitlisted, the secretary implied that after the April 15 deadline, they'd take any offers that have been declined by other students and bring them back to the pool.

I want to avoid the situation where I bit the bullet and decide to pay for a master's program at one of my schools I've been accepted to, only to get offered funding after April 15 by my waitlisted school. Would there be any legal with accepting from unfunded school with the intention of dropping out (and forfeiting a deposit) if I get a funded offer elsewhere?

What deposit have you given the school?

If you withdraw an acceptance for a funded offer, its unlikely a school is going to take you to court. It's not a "contract" that forces you to attend their campus (especially for a Masters). Some folks will say "Oh well once you accept that's it and you don't want to get on a schools bad side, burn bridges, etc.", but I find a lot of that talk requires a certain amount of stars aligning for someone to so bitter about a students withdrawal that they carry this grudge for years into the future.

I think the preferred option would be to contact the schools that haven't offered you funding and just ask if it's OK for you to let them know after April 15. If the other schools don't have money riding on your decision, it's unlikely that they'll mind waiting a few more weeks to hear from you.

If a school is offering funding, you need to accept by April 15th because they want to make sure that any other unfunded students have the opportunity to get the money if you don't want it. If you pay the deposit and then forfeit your spot, I agree, that the program wont take you to court or attack you in any way. BUT a word of advice about academia: it is a small small world. I didn't realize this until I started applying to program and talking with professors at each school. It was amazing how many of them had worked together in some way or simply been on the same panel at conferences. I would be weary of what withdrawing an offer can do to those interactions in the future. Of course, it also depends on how you word the rejecting of the offer. A phone call would be better than a short email. (I am a communications major and so open communication is important!!)

Good luck