Why did you choose the Education field?

magiclogic

OK guys, I think we have to keep ourselves a bit busy in this (Education) forum otherwise I have already finished reading (and learned a lot) about political science and engineering applicants :)

So, lets discuss something. How about "Why are we studying the science of Education?" There are many other compelling problems in other fields too, but somehow we ended up education, right?

About me, I have a degree in management and MBA, started cool career in banking and consulting, but found soooo boring, of course there are many other reasons.

Why are you guys are in education?

I've had lots of different "careers," but education is the one subject I've maintained a consistent passion for. My father is a teacher and I've been teaching all my life (almost literally - I started working as his swimming demonstrator when I was three!), so can't remember a time when I didn't have definite opinions on how schooling should be conducted.

I am interested in my particular field, educational psychology, for many of the same reasons the standard psych students will claim: an interest in the way people think/work/etc., but I like to study psychology in the context of the schools because k-12 schooling in the US is an almost universal experience, and is an area that can be much improved based on the application of research (and is one that has in the past been much ignored).

I was teaching community college English and realized how much happened outside the classroom that I was very unaware of...I returned to get another master's in Student Affairs/Higher Education and absolutely love Higher Education/Research, so am now pursuing my Ph.D. I spent many years working in the private sector before teaching and I wouldn't go back to non-education work for anything. I am interested in Higher Education specifically (versus K-12), and in particular, community college students.

I am in the field of education becuase I love to help and I love to share. Compared with other jobs I had done before, being a teacher gives me a sense of achievement when I see the progress my students make and I believe the progress they make will leave them a life-long impact. Besides, teaching also endows me with a high degree of self-determination. It helps me keep balance between my career and my life. Since I started teaching, I have never doubted why I am in it or felt depressed when I wake up in the morning or at the very last day of a vacation. Though there are some negative sides, such as the very bad attitude that some students may bring with them to class and the stress to prepare for a decent lecture, I still cherish the chance of being able to work as a teacher.

As for why I want to pursue a doctoral degree in education, I think that is because I love to teach and discover new things and I love to write articles.