UC Santa Barbara [UCSB] '09

HelloFeminists

Has anyone else been accepted to UCSB for a grad program, particularly in the social sciences / humanities? Which programs, and are you thinking of going? I've been accepted to the Ph.D program in Feminist Studies, which I'm absolutely psyched about. They're paying to fly me out for a visit in early March :)

I've been accepted to the history program; already visited and had a great experience. Still waiting on funding decisions to be made toward the end of this month, which will probably dictate how strongly I consider them. Santa Barbara is way too expensive to even contemplate without some guarantee of money.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been accepted to the history program; already visited and had a great experience. Still waiting on funding decisions to be made toward the end of this month, which will probably dictate how strongly I consider them. Santa Barbara is way too expensive to even contemplate without some guarantee of money.

That's awesome that you had a great experience - I'm visiting this coming weekend :) I'm so excited yet also nervous to make a good impression! Have you gotten funding info yet? I'm thinking that the way it's going, I won't have any funding info before I actually meet with everyone...

That's awesome that you had a great experience - I'm visiting this coming weekend :) I'm so excited yet also nervous to make a good impression! Have you gotten funding info yet? I'm thinking that the way it's going, I won't have any funding info before I actually meet with everyone...

Still waiting on the funding info, unfortunately! But if it makes you feel any better, I was still waiting to be officially admitted when I visited. It came a couple days after and I don't think the admission was contingent on the visit, but if anything was going to cause anxiety, that was it. So I think you'll be fine, although I understand the nervousness. Be sure to let me (and everyone else who reads this) know how it goes. I'm visiting a second school next weekend, so I'm interested to compare experiences.

Still waiting on the funding info, unfortunately! But if it makes you feel any better, I was still waiting to be officially admitted when I visited. It came a couple days after and I don't think the admission was contingent on the visit, but if anything was going to cause anxiety, that was it. So I think you'll be fine, although I understand the nervousness. Be sure to let me (and everyone else who reads this) know how it goes. I'm visiting a second school next weekend, so I'm interested to compare experiences.

Yes, that situation must have been really nerve-wracking for you! I was incredibly nervous and I wasn't even in that situation.

I went to the recruitment visit last weekend, and I loved the department!! I've accepted their offer today. They've really been the best fit for me from day one, and the programs I'm hearing back from now really could not be better than their offer. So they've won me over :) Everyone was really nice and especially enthusiastic and willing to do whatever it took to have me attend - very flexible and accommodating. The events were nicely planned, my host was really nice, I was given a tour of the campus, et cetera. It was incredibly overwhelming to be at a large university given the fact that I come from a small private liberal arts college in New England!! But so is the nature of grad school.

Oh, and I've been fully funded for five years with a stipend / TA-ship through a Regents Special Fellowship, so that made the decision process that much easier! I wish you the best of luck with funding et al. Have you heard anything more?

Enjoy your visit! Where to, may I ask?

Congratulations! Did you have your visit yet? I'd love to hear about how it went, and what your thoughts were on the program and your prospective cohort. Do you know how many of them intend to accept their offers or are weighing this offer with others? I am waitlisted at UCSB, and it was toward the top of my list. :-)

Congratulations! Did you have your visit yet? I'd love to hear about how it went, and what your thoughts were on the program and your prospective cohort. Do you know how many of them intend to accept their offers or are weighing this offer with others? I am waitlisted at UCSB, and it was toward the top of my list. :-)

Mercurial, you're responding to synthla, right? Are you in History?

I went to the recruitment visit last weekend, and I loved the department!! I've accepted their offer today. They've really been the best fit for me from day one, and the programs I'm hearing back from now really could not be better than their offer. So they've won me over :) Everyone was really nice and especially enthusiastic and willing to do whatever it took to have me attend - very flexible and accommodating. The events were nicely planned, my host was really nice, I was given a tour of the campus, et cetera. It was incredibly overwhelming to be at a large university given the fact that I come from a small private liberal arts college in New England!! But so is the nature of grad school.

Oh, and I've been fully funded for five years with a stipend / TA-ship through a Regents Special Fellowship, so that made the decision process that much easier! I wish you the best of luck with funding et al. Have you heard anything more?

Enjoy your visit! Where to, may I ask?

Congratulations on your funding package, that is fantastic! And rare this year apparently. I unfortunately got word that that there won't be any money for me from UCSB, which is disappointing because I felt very positive about the school and the department, but luckily I have other options and I suppose the silver lining is that this makes the ultimate decision just a little bit easier.

I've been accepted to UCSB's anthropology program. For a while I was undecided because I had a great funding offer from them and from one other school. But pretty much everyone I've talked to has said that I'd be crazy not to go to Santa Barbara, so I'm pretty sure that's where I'll decide to go.

I couldn't make it to their grad preview weekend, but I've had a lot of really positive communication with various members of the department. I think I'll really like it there!

psi*psi, what kind of place did you find, and what's the rent if you don't mind me asking? I'm seriously considering getting university housing in San Clemente Villages, but if there are other semi-affordable options out there I wouldn't mind checking those out...

Congratulations on your funding package, that is fantastic! And rare this year apparently. I unfortunately got word that that there won't be any money for me from UCSB, which is disappointing because I felt very positive about the school and the department, but luckily I have other options and I suppose the silver lining is that this makes the ultimate decision just a little bit easier.

Thank you, synthla! My wife and I are very excited. Where will you be headed to? That's too bad about UCSB, but I'm glad you have other options. I feel so fortunate to have options!

Nice to meet you, psi*psi and porkchoppie :) My wife and I will be finding somewhere in family housing... which reminds me, I need to e-mail them about that. I'm supposed to be able to secure it based on the stipulations in my fellowship package. My latest question is where to find the closest and cheapest groceries near family housing...

Nice to meet you, psi*psi and porkchoppie :) My wife and I will be finding somewhere in family housing... which reminds me, I need to e-mail them about that. I'm supposed to be able to secure it based on the stipulations in my fellowship package. My latest question is where to find the closest and cheapest groceries near family housing...

If family housing is where I think it is (on/off El Colegio, just slightly west of campus and north of IV?), there's a shopping center near the Storke/Hollister intersection--a quick bike ride away. IIRC, there's a Costco and an Albertson's, and a nice farmer's market Sundays 10-2. :)

Hi!

I've been accepted w/ funding to the Classics and Theory program...I've decided to accept for a couple reasons. First, I am on the waitlist for funding at a couple other institutions (Chicago and Cincinnati), and I don't want to risk waiting and hoping. However, I've realized since my interests in Classics swerve toward using theory in criticism but also how classics underpins alot of our theory, I think UCSB is a better place for me to be regardless of funding.

My question for you all is...is it really necessary to visit? They'll help me pay for it, but I have terrible paranoia regarding planes AND my job (teacher) won't give me the time off, so the only time I have is Easter. I know Santa Barbara is beautiful but expensive. I'm 22 and single, so I would hopefully be able to get a room in the San Clemente villa. Further, the reviews and anecdotes I have heard about the Classics department are all incredibly positive, and the program is certainly the right fit.

AHhhhhh!

Anyway I appreciate any input, and hopefully I will meet some of you in the coming year!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use