School asking where I decided to go...

I am still deciding between several PhD programs, but went ahead and declined the offers that I was no longer heavily considering. One school responded to me, asking where I decided to go. I don't know how to respond to this, as everything I can come up with along the lines of "I haven't actually decided yet" seems to be negative in regard to that program.

Just be honest. Tell them you have been accepted to a few other programs and have not made a decision yet, but that you will contact them with your choice when you have made it. I'm in the same position; I've turned down some schools bit haven't officially committed to anything. One of the schools that asked me where I was going added that it was for program review purposes, which, to a certain degree, makes a lot of sense. If programs keep on losing a lot of potential grads to the same program, they might want to evaluate why and address that area. The schools are just trying to collect data to improve their competitiveness, or at least that is what I've gathered.

Just be honest.

They should appreciate that you're not holding a spot until the last minute just to decline. It should be much better for them just move on their waiting list, since it is all part of the game. They know it, and there won't be any hard feelings.

You are actually one of the few students doing the right thing by declining offers that you KNOW are not going to work for you. So why sit on them? If you are most likely not going to take an offer then why do people keep them, which then does not give other students that same opportunity. Academia is a small small world. I think this department just wants to know where you will be...you will most likely meet each other someday at conferences or maybe even work together in some capacity. I wont be surprised if I get to work with multiple POIs from different programs because that is how a lot of publications (in my discipline) get out - two or more profs from different unis work together and then ask grad students to come on the project.