Getting a classics/ancient history job at Oxbridge with a US Ph.D.?

cicero63

Hi all,

I am just wondering whether you have heard of anyone getting a job at Oxford or Cambridge after going through the US graduate school system (Ivy league), or is it true that they only really hire their own graduates?

Many thanks!

Definitely possible! Dr. Renaud Gagné at Cambridge was a Harvard PhD (pretty recent, too. 2006, I think?). And my memory's a bit rusty but I think Dr. Charles Weiss (also Cambridge) was a Yale PhD. Anyways, he's American. And this is just Cambridge's teaching faculty. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more with American PhDs on the research staff, and hopefully someone can step in and speak up for Oxford's situation.

If Oxbridge is your end goal, a US education certainly won't hold you back :)

In Oxford there are people with PhDs from e.g. Adelaide, Pisa, Nijmegen, Paris and probably other places as well (I've done only a quick research on people with non-English surnames, so it didn't work for Americans). But the conclusion is that you can be hired there no matter where you come from, you just have to be good enough.